Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Noshing with Bunny: Making the Grade

I promise that ALL my posts from here on out won't be about healthy shizz, BUT I have been trying to modify my culinary skills to trim down my recipes and to include some new items in rotation that are delish AND healthy. So, I thought I would share a few of my successes...and failures...with ya'll.

First up...I made this one up. Black beans & corn nachos. A can of corn (low sodium, rinsed), a can of black beans (rinsed), a can of Rotel (I was out of fresh tomatoes), red onions, cilantro, a squeeze of line, and a sprinkle of Mexican cheese served with baked chips. Yummy Mexican fix. GRADE: A-

Shells with ricotta, mushrooms and spinach. I found this recipe on Pinterest. I used jarred sauce (Prego Heart Healthy) with part-skim ricotta and low-fat mozzarella, but found the filling could have used a wee bit more seasoning. GRADE: B+

These are those diet Coke brownies....you mix a box of brownie mix with a can of diet Coke. These were, well, sorta gross. The top had a weird "crust" and the texture was weirdly rubbery. Even the hubs, who will eat about anything sweet, threw out after trying to eat them twice. It just took me once. BLEH. I would rather make the real thing and just suck up the calories. GRADE: D


Oh, a cocktail! I call this one the "Mocklada" as in mock pina colada. I found the inspiration HERE. Basically, you use the pineapple flavored coconut water (GREAT new discovery!), dark rum (I used Kraken...mmmmm!), but instead of plain seltzer, I used pineapple coconut seltzer (zero calories!) I found at WalMart. You can have one of these for about 120 calories. So refreshing and tasty! GRADE: A

Then, I made these yummy fish tacos. I baked frozen tilapia sprinkled with chipotle seasoning. But the best part of this was the underpinnings.....I shredded romaine then heavily coated it with lime juice and a heavy hand of cilantro. I used to coat it with Spicy Ranch dressing. This option was definitely more ass-friendly and very filling. GRADE: A-

If any of you have any delish but healthy recipes to share, but give me a shout. I hope you are enjoying the new structure of the blog. Again, I promise this isn't going turn into a weight loss blog. But it will be SOME of the focus. :) Have a great week! B.

2 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I knew you'd be able to tinker with your recipes.
I was craving a tuna-noodle casserole last night and found a good recipe on Cooking Light.

What have you been eating for breakfast? I have low blood sugar in the morn and tend to grab toast and coffee. Then I need a snack by 10:30

bunny said...

LMSS, my breakfast choices change with the time of year but, most recently, I have been eating a 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean with 6-8 oz. of fat-free yogurt. I will add in fresh fruit sometimes. Usually holds me to lunch because it has good protein and fiber.