Monday, April 23, 2012

Building a Better Bunny: Weighing Vegan

Hello, peeps! Today, I took a "mental health" day from work and have been busy, busy. I did some freelance paperwork this morning, have completed an interview for my freelance work, FINALLY finished rightening my clothes closet for the warmer months (which sadly results in returns....I HATE returning stuff!), finished a few chores, and it's barely lunchtime! Anyhoodle, I thought I would make a quick post before I headed into a busy afternoon.

Yesterday, when I visited Wally World, I also picked up a food scale. I have read again and again that if you are serious about weight loss, you should have a scale. It is especially helpful, I understand, for measuring proteins. WalMart did not have a big selection, but I chose The Biggest Loser brand:

Here it is measuring some yogurt last night (I was making "ice cream" sandwiches....check back Wednesday for the results!). I like this scale because it has quite a few functions (many I may never use), and it is very compact so it will be easy to store out of the way in our tiny kitchen. It also came with its own batteries which was a plus. I see this becoming a very well used and functional tool in my kitchen.

Last night, the hubs and I watched the documentary Forks Over Knives. If you have never seen it, I highly recommend watching it. It made me rethink non-plant protein like Super Size Me made me rethink fast food.

From the documentary Website: "Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods. The idea of food as medicine is put to the test. Cameras follow patients who have chronic conditions from heart disease to diabetes. Doctors teach these patients how to adopt a whole foods plant-based diet as the primary approach to treat their ailments while the challenges and triumphs of their journeys are revealed."

Wow, was this approach an eye-opener. Like most Americans, I usually drink the Kool-Aid handed to me, but this film will make you reexamine your food choices. In fact, the hubs and I have already had a few conversations about modifying our diet to reduce animal-based proteins. I ordered a few vegan cookbooks this morning to start investigating options for plant-based, whole-food eating. Especially after I looked at my menus for this week and realized I had us down to eat meat EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Big meat. Hamburgers. Pork chops. BIG. MEAT.

I would really be willing to greatly reduce my intake of animal-based protein but there are some items (CHEESE!) I would have a hard time eliminating. Regardless, I think any significant reduction in your intake would have a health benefit, so for our health, I am willing to go down the road a ways, especially since the hub's fams has a history of high cholesterol and cancer, and my fams has a history of cancer, as well. I promise to report back on the journey. I see possibly cutting our days of meat-eating in half to start. The good thing is that, going into summer, fresh fruits and veggies are abundant and easy to come by so that will make this experiment easier.

Well, that is all for today, folks. I have another interview later, need to exercise, and need to go run some errands (returning some of those items I found in my closet!). Oh, and I need to take a shower. That might be important. Come back Wednesday for Noshing with Bunny! XO, B.

4 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I went Veggie for a year and a half when the reports first came out about meat protein and inflammation. My family has pretty much of a zero history of cancer and heart disease...just a lot of high blood pressure. I wanted to see if it made a difference in my arthritis pain. It didn't.

I could never do vegan. I ate fish, eggs and dairy, because I just couldn't handle all the soy and beans. And BOY! did I miss hamburgers.

bunny said...

LMSS, I think I MIGHT could give up meat, but, like you, would need to keep fish, eggs and dairy. Right now, just going to take baby steps. Cannot hurt! :)

Jen on the Edge said...

One of my brothers went vegan two years ago and hasn't looked back. He's lost a LOT of weight (80 pounds or so) and hasn't been sick a single day since changing his diet.

I don't think I could go vegan, but I have cut back on the meat we eat. We only buy free range organic mollycoddled animal products and we tend to have it only two or three times a week.

bunny said...

JOTE, I don't think I could go full-on vegan either, but am planning on reducing our meat consumption dramatically. LOL on the "mollycoddled" animals, BTW!! :)