Sunday, March 11, 2012

Looks Like We Made It

Whew! I made it to the weekend peeps. And there are no bodies. Nor was there any alcohol poisoning. But I will admit that I had a drink every. single. night. last week. Not drunk. But a smooth-the-edges-of-my-frayed-nerves cocktail. And it was lovely. And kept me sane.

I also did a wee bit of new cooking this past week. The following meal contains two recipes I found on Pinterest: Slow Cooker Cube Steak with Gravy and Butter Dip Biscuits.

Let me just say upfront that both of these dishes were a semi-fail, but only because I did not follow the recipe. First, the steak, while very tender, was slightly overcooked and salty. I could not find the low-salt versions she calls for in the recipe and I amped up the Crock Pot because I gots a late start, but apparently I didn't need to because it gots all dark crusty around the edges. As far as the biscuits, I did not have buttermilk but proceeded without it which made the biscuits a wee bit dense. But they were tasty-ish. I will be remaking both of these recipes, properly, and will report back about what happens when you follow the recipe rules.

Today, since it was Daylight Savings Sunday, and I thought we could use a treat for losing a WHOLE HOUR of sleep (ridiculous! the whole thing is ridiculous!), I made cream cheese stuffed French toast, which I made up in my head. First, I bought some of this at the Publix recently:

It is Philadelphia Cream Cheese's new Indulgence line which is chocolate cream cheese. They have dark, milk and white chocolate flavors. It was on sale at the Publix and I had a coupon so I thought I would give it a whirl. Folks (no, I don't know who, just folks) are saying it is the "American Nutella." So, anyways, I had a shit ton of loaf bread, so I pulled out a few pieces and schmered one side fairly heavily with Milk Chocolate Indulgence and I schmered the other half with whipped (read: spreadable) regular cream cheese and smooshed the pieces together.

Next, I melted a few tablespoons of butter in my All Clad skillet, and whipped three eggs, two tablespoons of sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of milk in a pie plate. I soaked the cream cheese sandwich in the egg mixture, both sides, and placed in the hot skillet, cooking on both sides until golden brown.

Here it is plated, topped with sugared strawberries, and it was DEE-LISH-US. If you don't know what sugared strawberries are, basically you dice up fresh strawberries, toss them with granulated sugar, and let them sit. The sugar draws out the juice, and makes a syrupy liquid. Great over waffles, French toast, angel food cake, pound cake, ice cream, etc.

Other than that, this week was mostly about keeping my sanity so not a whole lot else to report. I am off to try to get the rest of my chores done so I can head to bed early and make back up some of that lost sleep. Hope you all are doing super-duper. Love and kisses, B.

3 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I just took a shot of insulin (just kidding) after the stuffed french toast pic.

I spent most of last week sleeping...at least 2 naps a day. I plan to actually accomplish something this week.

The kitty seems to be outgrowing the toddler stage (she's 15 weeks now) but she kicks ALL the litter out of the box, at least 5 times a day.And she discovered how to crawl up into my dresser drawers bu getting underneath and shimmying up the side of the drawers.

I hope your week is a calmer than last week!

Bo said...

I've gotta try the "American Nutella"...so I cam make that sandwich!

A drink every night...I haven't really had any alcohol in minute...had a couple drinks Sat...I was so damn tipsy.

bunny said...

LMSS, BAH! It's not THAT bad. I would love to spend a week sleeping. And you need a covered litter box. They are the best.

Bo, that French toast rocks. Best with the berry compote. My job makes me drink. I may or may not be heading toward alcoholism. :)