Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Wishes from Casa Bunny

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Joyous Kwanzaa to all my peeps out there in the blogsphere. This morning at Casa Bunny, there are a ton of things to be done....house to be cleaned for in-laws tomorrow, presents to be wrapped for celebration with my fams later today, baking, etc.....but here I am, wasting time wishing all my virtual friends a happy holiday.

I would be lying if I said this holiday season has not had its share of woe. It started off for me with a miserable, awful, kick-my-ass case of bronchitis at Thanksgiving (and, yes, I am still coughing, thank you very much). We also have had furkid woes, from finding out that Pepsi is in her last days and this Christmas will be her last with us because of a bad spleen to Roxie being "impacted" and having to have a doggie enema. Between the human and furry ailments, our financials have taken a huge hit, which isn't very joyous since we are trying to save for a down payment on a new car.

But even with the crap that has been hurled our way, I still tried to make the season joyous...at least for others. I sponsored Christmas gifts, above and beyond my regular monthly contribution, for my two Kenyan children (shown below) through Compassion International.


I also sponsored a sleepytime bag for a homeless child through Project Night Night. And I joined a legion of Happy Hookers over at Rants from Mommyland for their Grand Hooker Experiment. Those wonderful ladies paired hookers in need with hookers who wanted to help and, as a result, WalMart and Target and a host of other gifty cards were flying all over the continent between hookers.

The ladies at Rants from Mommyland also inspired me to help a hooker at home....a co-worker who barely makes minimum wage and has three kids under 12. She had been unemployed for a long time and, after she got her job with us, her husband lost his job. They only have one car, so he has to bring her to work, and she has very few work-appropriate clothes. And is in need of dental help. Badly.

So I called up my skinny hooker friends (because I am NOT and my co-worker IS) and gathered up three bags of clothes for her, and then one of my skinny hooker friends wanted to donate some money, so I matched her money and we got co-worker a $50 WalMart gift card, too. For food or toys for her kids or whatever she needs. And I bought her a few clothes off the clearance rack at WalMart. And I was able to deliver it all anonymously. But she figured out it was me (though I thoroughly denied it!) and cried and hugged me. It was good to know I made someone's day, and holiday, a little happier.

I would have loved to have done more this season if we had not had such a financial drain, but as I saw in a great article this morning about people paying off other folk's KMart layaways, "You know, 50 bucks may not sound like a lot, but I tell you what, at the right time, it may as well be a million dollars for some people." It's so true. (BTW, if you want to read that story, it is HERE ....be prepared to ugly cry).

I have been thinking that maybe in the new year, my resolution will be to help at least one person or charity each month, in addition to my regular charitable contributions to Compassion and the shelter where I work. Each month I could anonymously brighten someone else's life....or a few people. Sponsor an adoption at the shelter. Give gift cards to random people who need help. Because they can say the economy is recovering, but they lie. Not a political statement, because I have come to believe all politicians lie, but because there are still LOTS of people struggling and suffering. Because even though I was unemployed for a year, I was and am still blessed beyond belief with more than I need.

I encourage all my friends in blogland to do the same. And it doesn't have to be money. Gifts of time are equally welcome by most non-profits. I know we could NOT do our work at the shelter without the help of our 200+ volunteers. I think if we are going to see our country turn around, we are going to have to do it ourselves, at home, helping each other. And, besides, it will make you feel good, too.

On that note, I hope each and every one of you have a happy, restful and drama-free holiday. I will be back next week with more posts including one on how to make those beloved lighted jars all flipped for on my holiday home tour. Peace and blessings, Bunny.

7 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

You have the biggest heart of just about anyone I know. Your goodness will someday come back to you times 100.

have a wonderful Christmas.milpo

KP said...

Wow. Great post. Everything will work out...I have to chant this to myself every day...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May we see each other in 2012.

bunny said...

LMSS, not to sound all mushy, but doing things for others makes me happy. I think that is why I love to cook. I guess some would call that a "servant heart." I just wish it did not come with a servant salary! :)

KP, I know all will work out...it always has...it's just "when it rains it pours" and it's been a damn monsoon at Casa Bunny! haha I cannot believe you have been back in GA all this time and we still have not seen each other. Let's set a date for soon. Merry Christmas to you, for now.

Bo said...

I'm going to start calling you the woman with a heart of gold! Wishing you guys a Merry Christmas!

Jen on the Edge said...

I love your idea of helping others throughout the year. I'm going to ponder this, talk it over with my family, and figure out what we can do.

Merry Christmas, my friend.

Sonya said...

Merry Christmas to you!

bunny said...

Bo, make that a "Hooker with a Heart of Gold!" haha

JOTE, I am glad I have inspired you. You could even think small...one thing a quarter with each family member having a quarter where they choose the charity/person to help. For you, it could be participating in a charity run with your girls, for example. I would love to know if you decide to do something and what you do.