Sunday, October 09, 2011

Buttoned Up

When my Grandmother died, I inherited her button box. Actually, I think I just sorta took it because everyone else probably thought it was junk.

Actually, it isn't a button box....it is an old-fashioned wooden sewing box. But my Grandmother kept all her odd buttons in it or buttons she removed from clothes she couldn't wear anymore. A child of the Depression, she didn't waste. After all, fabric may wear and tear, but buttons rarely wear out.

For some reason, I have always been fascinated by the button box. The colors! The smooth, shiny buttons! When I was a child and would visit her, I loved to just run my hand through the buttons and feel them. I would take them out and sort them. Count them. I developed a wee button fetish.

As I have grown older, I often have thought I should DO something with the buttons. Or some of the buttons. Something I could see or use everyday and it would bring back wonderful memories of my Grandmother. I have often thought of making a button pillow and I recently browsed etsy and found a few I liked for inspiration:

I like the heart....very fitting.





I also like the monogram....I am a sucker for anything with a monogram.
I also found some cool wall art made with buttons....Here are a few things I really like:

Button tree on painted canvas....I have many white/pearl buttons so I could do this one!
Love the button monogram....again, monogram fool.
Another monogram....this one monochromatic.
And just today, I saw this cute, cute idea for button-topped hair pins! I just wonder if this is too juvenile for me to wear:


I actually have enough buttons that I might could do all four of these projects (if I ever make the time and have the gumption); however, I think something inside of me might be sad to actually USE the buttons. Is that weird?!? Of course it is. Maybe just the hairpins. One or two. Or maybe just a wee pillow. Sigh. I am way too sentimental for my own good. So, what's your vote? Use the buttons or no? And if I do use them, what should I do with them? Hope you are having a great weekend! B.

7 comments:

KP said...

My friend Leigh makes button bouquets. Check it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronadams/sets/72157625924906838/

Sonya said...

What a beautiful idea! How lucky for you to have something so meaningful to you from your grandmother. I vote for the tree on canvas and/or the monogram pillow. Tell that little part of you that wants to keep them in the box that if you don't like your project, you can take it apart and put the buttons back in with their friends.

Big Sis said...

I really like the tree art!

bunny said...

Those are cool, KP...maybe I can find a tutorial online!

Sonya, excellent point about rejoining their friends.

Big Sis, I like it too...will keep you posted!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I love the monograms and the tree.

Jen on the Edge said...

I adore button projects too. I have a heart that I made out of buttons and hung on the wall.

I have had a button box for years. One of my girls recently spent an hour or more sorting all of my buttons by color into glass jars. They look so pretty that way.

And YES you should totally get some of those button bobby pins and wear them. They'll look so great in your beautiful hair.

bunny said...

JOTE, glad to know someone else has a button fetish! :)