Sunday, September 25, 2011

Saturday Supper

Peeps, I thought I would do a short cooking post. I have tons to do today because basically all I did yesterday was nap. And cruise the Internets. And nap. Anyhoodle, since it was Saturday--and I was going to be home all day--I pulled out the Crock Pot and decided to make Italian Pot Roast:

This photo is actually the entire dinner plated. I really like this recipe. It is, of course, from Williams-Sonoma. It is super easy, company worthy, and very savory. It is a good "warm weather" roast...you could even use fresh tomatoes if you wanted. I did use fresh basil since it is still growing in my garden. A few tips, if you decide to make this recipe: 1) the plum tomatoes are MESSY when you squish them, but make a more rustic looking sauce; use already diced tomatoes if you want to avoid the mess; and 2) those little single serve bottles of wine work great for recipes...I used the Sutter Home Cab for this roast.

I served last night with steamed broccoli, but green beans or even a Caesar salad would be nice. I also served Parmesan smashed potatoes....Parmesan and/or garlic mashed potatoes or a small pasta such as orzo tossed with Parmesan and butter would be good, as well. Crusty is bread is a "must" to sop up the "gravy" which is basically a wine/tomato herb-infused stoup. I haven't tried this yet, but I think the roast leftovers would make a wonderful "Italian Dip" hoagie, too! And let me share with you my new kitchen toy which I am in LOVE with:

My new deluxe rice cooker/steamer! I have been using this for a few weeks, several times a week, and all I can say is I wish I had jumped on this bandwagon long ago. So easy. I was a HORRIBLE rice cooker, but with this, you just throw in the water and rice and 20 minutes later, perfect rice! LOVE! Seriously, you just walk away and when it is done, it beeps. That's all. Even keeps it warm until you are ready to serve. MAGIC! Last night, I cooked rice AND steamed the broccoli at the same time! My only complaint is that it is sorta bulky, but I have used it so much, I have found a semi-permanent space for it on the countertop now. My only sadness is that I recently saw a more deluxe version that is also a mini slow cooker! I know. If I continue to use this one as much, maybe I will "trade up" one day.

Well, I am off like a herd of turtles. Really, I am just trying to procrastinate because I don't want to do what I have to do which is write three articles. Sigh. Later taters! B.

6 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

Looks yummy!

I'm planning to make cottage pie (shepherd's pie with beef instead of lamb) for dinner tonight using mashed potatoes left over from the other night and some leftover pot roast that I froze for just this sort of use. Yum.

Bo said...

Rice cookers really are a godsend. Mine has a time you can set it before work and rice will be ready when you get home. I also like those little single serve bottles of wine...for drinking :D

bunny said...

Thanks, JOTE...glad to know you are continuing your adventures in slow cooker land! :)

Bo, they ARE a godsend! Mine has a delay timer but I have not used it...yet. Do you use yours for any other cookery?

Bo said...

Some, I have one similar to yours and I used to cook vegetables in the top, but I've replaced it with a Japanese one that is pressurized so I'm not really sure how to cook in it.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Looks good. I'll have to check out the WS website.
I'm off to make a an apple pie.

bunny said...

LMSS, MMMMMMM. Pie.