Sunday, September 18, 2011

Saturday Supper

So, since I have been working again, my cooking has taken somewhat of a back seat. During the week, it has to be (mostly) food that can be cooked in 30 minutes or less. You know the drill...hit the front door, settle the dogs, change your clothes, cook dinner, do after dinner chores, add in freelance work some nights for me, school work for the hubs and, before you know it, it is time to go to bed.

So if I do any more time-consuming recipes, they have to usually be attempted on Saturday or Sunday nights. Last night, I didn't really do anything time consuming...this actually could have been a week-night meal....but I did try a new recipe. I was craving red meat and Bobs and I went to Costco yesterday (yes, I have become a Costco bitch) and I bought this:

I have a confession:  I cannot cook red meat. Well, ground beef. And I can cook a roast in a Crock Pot. But I am not a good steak cooker. So I was all about this baby. And it was yummy.

There was enough here for about 3 meals of generous servings. In hindsight, I should have cut it in half and frozen one half, but, oh well. It was tender and delicious and only took about 7 minutes in the microwave. Score! With it I served my favorite side dish...roasted baby potatoes....sprinkled with this:

I bought this Black Truffle sea salt in Charleston at this huge spice store. It was pricey but a little goes a long way. Very pungent in the bag, but the flavor was not nearly as pronounced on the potatoes. I also made a new dish which was really good:

Stuffed Baby Peppers. You halve mini bell peppers, then stuff them with a mixture of ricotta, Parmesan and feta (the recipe says goat cheese, but I have a current aversion to goat, so I used feta and it was very, very good!) then dip them panko crumbs and bake. So easy and tasty. This dish is one of those that would be a good company dish because it looks harder and more impressive than it is and it's colorful. Click HERE for the recipe. Here it all is plated:

Mmmmm! I could eat some more right now. Here is my other take on meals....If you have one great, homemade, awesome thing (in this case, the peppers) then everything else is elevated a notch or two. So I don't feel bad about cheater meat. At all.

Another thing I have started doing is cooking ahead on Sunday when I can. Right now, I am roasting butternut squash (which I will serve tomorrow night with leftover London broil and broccoli) and cooking rice in the rick cooker and Provencal chicken in the slow cooker (which will be Tuesday night's meal). Cooking ahead is great because it just means warming up when you come home from work. When it gets a wee bit cooler, I am going to cook giant pots of soups and chilis and stews each weekend to eat on all week. It will be awesome.

Hope you all are having a good week. I am off to wash about 10 more loads of clothes, finish up my cooking, and then off to a friends for dinner and the Emmy's! Love, B.

2 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I have done that "pot roast in a bag" from Costco. It has the gravy in the bag and you boil the whole business for 25 min. I throw potatoes and carrots in the microwave and we have dinner in less than 30 min!

I already have tomorrow's veggie soup in the crockpot.

bunny said...

LMSS, I saw that! I will have to try next time! :)