Saturday, January 15, 2011

What A Week!

Wowza, peeps! It's been an INTERESTING week. Weird and fun and glorious and...wow. The week started with a blizzard by southern standards. Here's some pics:

 It started around 11 p.m. Sunday night. And it didn't stop. ALL. NIGHT. LONG. It snowed RIGHTUPTO the front door. When I opened the door and saw this, I was like "Holy Shit. We're fucked."

 Six inches. In some areas of life, a good thing. For snow in GA, a nightmare.

 
Snowed right up to the damn back door too.Yeah. We WERE fucked.

This photo is my fave though....a little snow dunce hat on the cherub. Ha.

So, yeah, after waking up at 3 a.m. Monday and seeing the copious amounts of snowfall, I was just wrought. I prayed for hours for the dear Lord to please keep the electricity on. And, bless the Lord, we never lost electricity. We also did not leave our house for three days. The temps stayed below freezing, a coat of icy slush came through the next day and coated the snow, and it was a hot mess. Well, not hot, but you get me. Anyhoodle, it's still melting and probably will be still melting in June. We are just ill equipped to handle this much snow here. However, the shitty weather did give me time to cook.

This recipe is a Publix Apron recipe, Country Garden Chicken with Cheesy Grits. Yummers. Very easy and hearty and tasty and comfort-type food. I served it with roasted cauliflower. I am having a love affair with cauliflower right now. It is so good roasted...just toss with a little EVOO, salt and pepper, and bake on 400 for about 20 minutes, until gets brown around edges. Wish I had a plate now.

This awesome looking dish is skillet lasagna. What a revelation! I love lasagna, but it is SO labor intensive. This dish has all the flavor, with a LOT less work. But plenty to eat, share and keep for leftovers.
Here it is plated. Yes, I couldn't resist "taste testing" the bread. I have a passion for that frozen garlic Texas toast. It's so awful and yet so good. It's all Bobs fault. He served me some several months ago and made me have a big jones for it.

 
I also made snow ice cream, which I had never done before (because we haven't had this much snow here since ever). 

Vanilla Frosties ain't got nothing on Bunny Snow Creme. 

 
Top with dark chocolate syrup = heaven in a bowl.

 As you saw from the previous post, Tuesday was the Charlester's B-Day and, of course, we gots him a doggie cake.

What's dat' Daddy??

 First tentative bites, quickly turned to....

 Gobbling it down!

 After his hard partying, Charlie was only interested in burrowing down for a long winter's nap.

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. Since I am one of those "lucky" people who can work from home, I did (the downside of our electricity never going out). I made it back to work for a few hours on Thursday and then all day Friday. Today, I ran around like a fiend trying to prepare for the family b-day celebration I am hosting tomorrow. I did, however, make time for a manicure.

I cannot TELL you the last time I had polish on my fingernails. I use my hands too much. I am sure this manicure will be marred in a day (esp. since I am planning heavy cooking tomorrow morning) however, I have loved this short, dark look for awhile and really wanted to try it. I thought, "why the Hell not??" That may be my new mantra for 2011. Next up....shocking highlights, a piercing in an unusual place and maybe a tattoo! ;) Lastly, here's my favorite song of the week:



Loves this song totes, though it is very "summer" song and I wish it had come out about June. Well, that's all peeps, I hope you all had a great week! With love, B.

PS, the dudes in the liquor store and I made a bet today about how many babies will be born in October from all the "Snow Screwing." Just sayin.'


1 comment:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

That's sort of what it's like up North when it snows 2 feet and the power goes out for days on end and it takes 9 hours to shovel the driveway because God Forbid you don't show up for work just cuz there's a little snow on the ground!