2011 Highlights from Bunny World
- Watched 55+ movies/mini-series, from a combination of Netflix and theater. WORST: Inception. We only made it about 20 minutes in before we admitted we were hopelessly lost and turned it off. BEST: Tie between The Help and Crazy Stupid Love.
- Read 15 books. I am very sad about this number because usually I read almost double this amount. Maybe I needed a book breather. And maybe it's because I have not read much worth reading lately. I would love to get back into a book club to challenge myself. WORST: When Engulfed in Flames (expected so much more from David Sedaris!) BEST: Ape House (so unexpectedly interesting).
- Made 35+ new recipes. I only counted things I made FROM a recipe, not something I simply crafted from my head. WORST: Gnocchi Mac & Cheese (doughy!) BEST: Tie between Green Chili Sour Cream Enchiladas and Brown Sugar Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin.
Brown Sugar Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin
- Made snow ice cream for first time (because we had so much snow in the ATL in 2011!)
- Adopted our third dog, Roxie, Charlie's sister. And, yes, it has been rewarding but definitely not easy.
- Purchased (finally!) an All-Clad skillet. Too scared to use it much, but it is wonderful.
- Saw my first professional ice hockey game, The Gwinnett Gladiators.
- Sponsored my second Compassion child, Beatrice in Kenya.
- Was bitten (badly) by (my own) dog (Roxie).
- Started couponing again and saved a shit-load of money, esp. at CVS. BEST SCORE: 18 bars of soap for around $1!
- Professionally highlighted hair for first time.
- Discovered Blackberry Sangria at Carrabba's. It will change your life.
- Discovered Downton Abby which is so incredibly fabulous.
- Also discovered Larkrise to Candleford which is almost as incredibly fabulous.
- Finally toured Terrapin brewery in Athens, GA.
- Celebrated my parent's 50th wedding anniversary with my fams.
- Met a virtual friend for the first time....had "known" him for about three years and was our first time actually seeing each other in person.
- Vacationed at Folly Beach, SC for the first time and really loved it. It was Roxie's first time at the beach and she loved it. Just missed Hurricane Irene while vacationing.
Last Night Sunset at Folly, post-Hurricane Irene
- Ate at Husk, Bon Appetit's Best New Restaurant in America, in Charleston, SC. Hands-down, the BEST food I may have ever eaten. A true religious experience for a foodie.
- Bought a new washer and dryer. Very exciting for me since I had the same ones for 10+ years and these are so FANCY.
- Took part in a local photo exhibit for an art show.
- Celebrated my 15th wedding anniversary to my best friend.
- Drank several new beers and spirits. BEST BEER: Tie between Samuel Adams Octoberfest and Sierra Nevada Tumbler. BEST SPIRIT: Pinnacle Cake Vodka.
- Saw my niece be baptized.
- Professionally colored my hair red(dish).
- Celebrated the holidays by visiting for the first time the Atlanta Botanical Gardens' Night of Lights and Christmas on Peachtree.
- Had a great year at the human society where I work including coordinating an adoption special day that resulted in a single-day record for adoptions: 50 animals to new homes! Also wrote and was awarded my first grant ever for $5,000!
- Wrote 44 articles for my freelance business which included picking up two new magazines.
- And, finally, I returned to blogging after a 7 month absence and, so far, I have stuck with it. I lost many of my followers, but as long as there are a few of you out there, and it is pleasing to me, I will stick with it for now.
Wow. I am so glad I kept this list because the year really went by in a whirl (as most do nowdays) and it is so hard to think back and remember all the things you accomplished. Sometimes I think I never really do much, but when I was reading back over the 19 pages, I realized I have been quite busy and productive. Maybe not in ways that are impressive to others, but in ways that make ME happy. Cooking. Spending time with the people and pets I love. Helping others. If that makes me boring, then I guess I love being boring. Here's to being even MORE boring in 2012! Happy New Year's! Bunny