Friday, December 31, 2010

Bunny's Best of 2010

First of all, let me get the bad stuff out of the way. In no way, shape or form did I achieve any of the goals I set for 2010. I am sad to admit it, but it's terribly, terribly true. In general, after two years of working from home and a year of unemployment, going back to work in an office setting kicked. my. ass. Add to that a new puppy, a death of a dog and other emotional and physical issues, and I am glad to say my greatest accomplishment was surviving 2010. Not that is was a bad year, but it just wasn't remarkable per se.

That said, the guilt and shame didn't really work for me, but the experience did make me realize I will not set so many lofty goals for 2011! I am just going to try to go into 2011 with no expectations and see what happens. But in reflection of days gone by (to quote INXS), here's a list of my best finds from 2010:

    Bunny's Best of 2010

    Best Book I Read
    Winner: Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
    Runner-Up: The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier

    2010 was not a banner book year for me...my worst reading record in recent years and I did not read one book that sent me over the moon. That said, these two come the closest...Jackson because I could not put it down and read it in one day, and Chevalier because her historical fiction is so compelling.


    Best New to Me Restaurant (Where I Actually Dined)
    Winner: Tacqueria del Sol, Atlanta, Ga. area + Athens, Ga.
    Runner-Up: Miss Meg's, Clayton, Ga.

    Tacqueria del Sol was so good, I have repeat visited there numerous times. 
    Miss Meg's is, hands down, some of the best seafood I've ever eaten.


    Best New to Me Song
    Winner: Cosmic Love by Florence + the Machine
    Runner-Up: Fuck You by Cee Lo Green
    Honorable Mention: From Where You Are by Lifehouse

    A hard category, as always. Cosmic Love was the first song I heard by Florence + the Machine, so I picked it even though I love others by the group. Fuck You was late to the game, but too great to ignore.'Bout wore a groove in my mind from the Lifehouse song.


    Best Movie on the Big Screen
    Winner: The A-Team
    Runner-Up: True Grit

    Like books, not a great category for me this year, 
    so I chose the campy escape and the classic remake.


    Best Live Concert
    Winner: Michael Feinstein at Atlanta Symphony Hall
    Runner-Up: Chris Isaak at Chastain Park Amphitheater

    Multiple time seeing M.F. and he NEVER disappoints. 
    First time seeing C.I. and it was wonderfully impressive.


    Best Movie Rented From Netflix
    Winner: Arrested Development (full series)
    Runner-Up: Robin Hood (Russel Crowe version)

    Ok, Arrested Development IS a television show, but we did rent it and it is awesome. Robin Hood was great and only enhanced by Cate Blanchett (who I have a girl crush on).


    Best New to Me Food Find
    Winner: Ground pork/Pork Steaks
    Runner-Up: Rogue Creamery cheeses

    Ground pork and pork steaks are both relatively lean, cheap and delicious....what's not to love? 
    Rogue cheeses, while pricy, are memorably yummy.


    Best New Cooking Tool
    Winner: GE Double Oven Range with ceramic top
    Runner-Up: Le Creuset baking dishes

    I had to pick the $$$oven$$$ just because it puts my old one to shame. The Le Creuset baking dishes are just wonderfully easy to clean and so, so pretty.


    Best New Recipe/Dish (Which I Actually Cooked)
    Winner: Lamb Meatballs (from Ad Hoc for Home, Thomas Keller)
    Runner-Up: Italian Sausage Soup (from Bo's Bowl)

    Love lamb, love this simple recipe.
    Love Bo's soup....it's delish. And freezes well. PS, link to Bo on the left for his top
    dishes from 2010! Lots of great ones there.


    Best TV Show
    Winner: Modern Family
    Runner-Up: Real Housewives of Atlanta (current season)

    Modern Family is witty and wonderful.
    RHOA is a glorious guilty pleasure.


    Best New To Me Beers
    Winner: Somer Orange Honey Ale by Rogue
    Runner-Up (TIE): Gnarly Wine by Lagunitas and Rye Squared by Terrapin

    Somer Orange is one of the best beers I've ever had....a perfect summer beer, for sure. 
    Lagunitas rarely disappoints and I just "found" Terrapin this year and 
    have been impressed with their line-up, as well.


    Best New To Me Wines
    Winner: Rose Regale by Banfi
    Runner-Up: Sterling Vinter's Collection, 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon
     
    Rose Regale is a beautiful (in the glass) and tasty sparkling rose. Very special. Sterling Vinter's Cab was my entree into cabs and quite nice....nice enough to make me try more varietals.


    Other Bests
    Best New Sweet Find: Chocolate covered coffee beans
    Awesomely addictive.

    Best New Snack: Salt & Pepper Kettle Chips
    I love peppery, salty and crunchy....these chips meld all three into one.

    Best New to Me Coffee: Morning Joe by Starbucks
    Bold yet smooth brew.

    Best New Food Find: Truelove Bakery
    BEST. CUPCAKES. EVER.

    Best New Cleaning Product: Scotch Fur Fighter Pet Hair Remover
    If you have pets, you NEED this. Trust me.

    Best (Re)Newed Retail Find: Cost Plus World Market
    The love child of Pier One and the Dekalb Farmer's Market.

    Best Pet Accessory: Retro Animal Collars
    Beautiful AND well-made!

    Best Pet Find: Tailwaggers Doggie Daycare
    Saves mine and Charlie's sanity.


    Feel free to post some of your "bests" in comments....would love to hear them! Also, I think I will be doing a reflective look back on 2010 this weekend....in hindsight, while looking through my posts, I realized I did more than I thought! Have a safe and happy new year! XO, B.

    4 comments:

    Big Sis said...

    Oh, Julie, I am reading Ape House (Sara Gruen's new book) right now! It is so good! I will lend it to you when I am done. We will have to go see Water for Elephants when it comes out in April. Don't care two whits for Robert Pattinson but they had me at Reese Witherspoon!

    Big Sis said...

    Okay, here are a few of my favorites from 2010:
    1. L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting base: I have used all of the high priced primers (hello! Smashbox!) but this drugstore version is the best I have ever used. I just wished it didn't come in the stupid little pot.

    2. Purex Laundry detergent: a girl at work kept recommending it---finally tried it when I had a coupon---it is awesome and CHEAP!

    3. Urban Decay Naked Palette: this eyeshadow palette sold out everywhere--finally back in stock on Ulta and Amazon. The colors are amazing---very neutral but gorgeous! It looks very shimmery and glittery but don't be fooled. I am going to order another one to squirrel away for a rainy day!

    bunny said...

    Sis, May...it's a date! I have been using Purex Free & Clear for years (due to my allergy issues with scented soap products). My fave cosmetic purchase was Ulta's Self Tanner...it's great...doesn't smell and nice, natural look.

    Little Miss Sunshine State said...

    I'm chair dancing to Florence and Cee Lo with you!
    You+Me+DFM...sometime this year!