Saturday, September 04, 2010

Saturday Song(s)

Hi, my name is Bunny and I have a confession. I like country music. See, I was raised on "old school" country...Dolly, the Oak Ridge Boys, Loretta. Back in the day, there was no such thing as grunge, rap or alternative music. There was limited pop, Lawrence Welk and country.

Flash forward 20ish years to the 90s, when grunge come roaring out of the northwest U.S. Can I just say "Yuck?" Sorry, but I was coming out of my high school and college days when I was all about Brit pop/alternative. The Cure. INXS. The Smiths. Depeche Mode. Duran Duran. Simple Minds. Grunge was about as far away from The Smiths as you could get it seemed.

It was at this time I started again listening to country music. See, I was driving back and forth to the ATL for work and grad school with only a car radio (this was way before CD players in every car, much less mp3 players). As fate would have it, country music was going through a revolution. Less twangy, more pop-py. Crossover hits. Garth Brooks. Trisha Yearwood. Vince Gill. Pam Tillis. Patti Loveless. Clay Walker. I am not ashamed to admit I loved it. Bought the CDs. Went to concerts. Sang along at top volume in the car. Sue me. These artists are awesome and have great voices. Better than 90% of the popular "artists" out there today. Anyhoodle, I was in a store yesterday when this song came on and sent me back to the day:



I forgot how much I love this song. The lyrics are great. That is the thing about country music for me...the lyrics. They always tell a story. Like a mini-novel set to music. So, now I think I am going to spend the rest of the weekend digging out my old country CDs and giving them a listen. I think I will start with Garth. He's a classic. Sadly, there are no good quality videos of GB on You Tube, so I will leave you with this gem from Clay Walker:



Dare you not to tap your feet. Hope you all have a great long weekend (if you are lucky enough to be off Monday). Later! B.

6 comments:

Sonya said...

LOVE, LOVE HIM! Glad to hear him back on the radio recently. Dreaming with my Eyes Wide Open is another favorite.

bunny said...

Sonya, yes, and he still looks cute as ever. Maybe better with age even. Checked out tour dates but not coming near the ATL anytime soon. Sigh.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I LOVED that Jessica Andrews song and bought the CD.

A lot of the country music today is what we called Southern Rock back in the 70's, early 80's.

bunny said...

LMSS, Me TOO on Jessica. And I think I agree on your other comment, as well!

Elisabeth said...

Love the Jessica Adams song... one of my favorites, too. Thanks for making me smile this morning! ;-)

bunny said...

E., You know, this may sound crazy, but that song made me think of you.