Saturday, April 10, 2010

One Singularly Sensational Week-ish

Yo, peeps! It's been a great couple of days. Damn skippy. I have lots to share, so let's get to it.

Thursday, we took Savannah back to the vet and, woo-hoo!, her sugar was back to more "normal" levels. As in below 200 rather than above 400. So that? Was good news. It also rained here Thursday which was incredibly good news since everything was coated in a thick layer of yellow pollen, so YEAH! for the sinuses!

Thursday night was grocery night, and I sent the hubs off to forage for our food while I wrote a freelance article. Nothing exciting for dins--just some Publix subs, but let me tell you, those are some of the BEST subs you will ever have! MMM! Thursday night I was terribly excited because I managed to FINALLY finish Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

The book is her family's story to only eat local food--whatever they could grow, make or purchase within a limited radius of their home. The tale was very interesting but her writing was very DENSE, as in fact laden and not easy to skim unless you wanted to miss something. I did enjoy the book, however, and now have talked Bobs into making our own mozzarella (stay tuned for that fun!) but I am glad to be done with it and will now have to supplement my life with about 3-4 chick lit books before I can read another non-fict tome.

Last night, I made Big ol' Plate of Nachos with ground beef, black beans and corn salsa. MMMM! I forgots to take a photo but they were tas-tee. And I had a Big ol' Beer with it. This morning, we gots up and went to the local Garden Expo and took Charlie with us. Boy howdy, was he the hit of the show! We were stopped every. two. seconds. by people saying "What a cute puppy!" "What is he?" "Can I pet him?" "He is precious!" "Look at that face!" Sigh. It's so exhausting having a cute dog! :)

And, being the marketing whore that I am, I made sure I told every. single. person. I adopted him at the Humane Society. And you too can have a cute dog if you just come out to the shelter! hehe In good news, my devious plan of taking him with us to wear him out worked because we came home and he slept for like 7 hours. In BAD CHARLIE news, I found out today he had bitten a hole in my new favorite shirt from Land's End. New. favorite. shirt. Bitten. A hole. In the collar. Where you can see. Sigh.

As far as my take at the Expo, I purchased 8 heirloom tomato plants and 18 "regular" tomatoes (Better Boy, Best Boy, Rutgers) along with 4 pots of basil. I have about made an executive decision that I am just going to plant tomatoes and cukes this year. I am worried about having a garden and working so I want to keep it simple. And, really, I could live off tomatoes and cukes, anyway.

The hubs and I came home and worked in the yard all afternoon cleaning up from winter and what was left from last fall and made really good progress. And, then, for dinner, I really outdid myself peeps. Behold:

I made Thomas Keller's lamb meatballs and served over couscous with homemade tzaziki and balsamic tomatoes. Touch me. I don't think I shared this, but Thomas Keller was in the ATL last month signing his cookbook, Ad Hoc at Home, at a Williams Sonoma. Little Jake, my W-S hook-up, was able to have Mr. Keller autograph me a copy (!!!!!!) to me personally (!!!!!!!). Yeah, Little Jake rocks. So, here's how it went down.

Saute grated zucchini, onion and garlic in a pan until soft.

Mix with 1 lb. ground lamb (purchased on last DFM trip), lemon zest, an egg yolk, bread crumbs, S&P, and finely diced rosemary (Mr. Keller used mint, but I didn't have mint, and I though rosemary would be better).

Make 1-inchish balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet to cook about 15 minutes.

Voila! Meatballs! These were SO yummers. To think I used to be scared of cooking with lamb! I loves it now. I had made the sauce earlier in the day out of Fage Greek yogurt, grated cucumbers, garlic and lemon juice. It was a nice side and the couscous and tomatoes rounded everything out nicely. In other news, I received a letter today from my Kenyan child

Oh, how I loved this! And I felt so guilty for not writing him yet that I sat right down and sent him a letter with a photo of the hubs and I with the girls. Bless his heart. He asked me to pray for his mother because she is not doing well. How sweet and sad is that. I MUST do better about being a good sponsor, I tell you. We can send them anything flat--coloring book pages, photos, bookmarks--if anyone has any good ideas, let me know!

In other news, I have been listening to old school INXS this week. Like really old school Shabooh Shoobah and The Swing. Don't Change is one of my all time favorite songs, and other standouts are I Send A Message, Burn for You and Spy of Love. Good stuff, I tell ya', good stuff. Here's one for you:

Hot damn, Michael Hutchance was SO EFFIN' SEXY and had a voice like no one else. He is missed. (Sorry for quality of video--best they had on You Tube!).

Well, I think that is quite enough. A drink, the couch and a movie is calling me. Tomorrow, we are going to see Date Night (loves me some Steve Carrell!!) so I will report back soon! Out! B.

8 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

"Animal Vegetable Miracle" is one of my favorite books. As in, I read all or parts of it at least once per year and most recently did so just a couple of weeks ago.

For your Kenyan child, for that age, stickers are a lot of fun, as are markers (superior to crayons, as far as kids are concerned).

bunny said...

I totally want to raise turkeys now, JOTE! However, I think I will just stick to trying to make cheese first. haha Stickers are a GREAT idea! I am going to go buy some today!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

We had Publix subs for Fri night dinner. YUMS!

POLLEN. blech. I'm sitting here trying to decide if allergies is a valid excuse to call in sick to work. My head is threatening to explode.

If I find some good ideas for your Kenyan child, I'll pass them along. You are so sweet.

bunny said...

LMSS, Publix subs are our "go to" grocery night dinner. Easy-peasy. And while I AM kind, I AM NOT sweet. Bleh. Sweet. :)

Elisabeth said...

Mmmmm....lamb meatballs. I've been craving lamb since Easter when I didn't get to cook it b/c the hub's family idea of adventurous is cooking green beans in chicken broth. This may be my answer!

bunny said...

E., if you want the recipe, let me know and I can type in and email it to you!

Fannie said...

I was thinking of adding green beans to my tomatoes and cucumbers this year...

bunny said...

Oh, Fannie, I just don't think I have it in me this year...but best of luck to you.