Monday, March 08, 2010

It's a Boy!

Ok, peeps, I am about to say something possibly politically incorrect...well, for some maybe. I have always wanted a little black baby. Black babies are the CUTEST ever. I, mean, some white babies are cute, and some not so much, but black babies?? Always cute.

Of course, short of adoption, I didn't know how to make this dream happen, though I have often mused of adopting an A-A (African-American) child. Well, yesterday I had my chance. And I took it.

See, there is this blogger called Pastor Ryan who writes This is Reverb. Ryan is a cool tattoo sporting, piercing wearing kinda new fangled pastor who is currently on a mission trip to Kenya through Compassion International. Get right on over there and read all his posts. They are moving and inspiring and full of hope.

Compassion International is a faith-based organization that has folks all over the world and they encourage donors to sponsor children in various poverty stricken countries. Having read Ryan's account of what they do in Kenya, I felt compelled to sponsor a child of my own. Here, my peeps, is my new Kenyan child:

Meet Mulinge, 7 years old and lover of soccer. I tell you, it was hard to choose just one child, but his HUGE smile won me over. Isn't he a cutie pie? Compassion will send me a packet in two weekish with his photo and all kinds of info including how I can write him. I am very excited.

I will admit, first I was concerned about the money, but heck, the monthly sponsor is basically the cost of one meal out for us. And I have a job now. So it just seemed like the right thing to do and the right time to do it. Pay it forward. Help here at home and abroad. We have so much, even at our poorest, than the most well off in other countries. Anyhoodle, I highly encourage you peeps to read about Compassion International and consider sponsoring a child of your own. As Martha says, "It's a good thing." Meanwhile, I anxiously await the packet on my new child and will be sure to keep you updated. Later, peeps! B.
















8 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

That is so sweet. And yes, he is gorgeous.
You have a big heart, Ms Bunny.

blackbird said...

Good for you!
Keep us posted.

bunny said...

Thanks, LMSS. The only problem with having a big heart though is it tends to hurt a lot.

BB, I will be sure to keep you posted. I am terribly excited!

robertga99 said...

He is a cutie!
But I guess I know what is coming next...Once you girls become moms you forget your gay friends
:)'

dishinanddishes said...

Bunny - this is awesome. You can never explain the feeling you get from just helping someone. Congrats on your newly adopted child. You will be blessed!

Mikki said...

Aww, what a cute post!!

We too have a cutie in Africa from Compassion. We've sponsored David for over 9 years now. It's wonderful!!

Just stopping by via Katie's blog

Prairiemaid said...

Bunny, it is a wonderful adventure you are embarking on! Maybe one day you will get to meet face to face, but if not this side of Heaven, in Heaven for sure.

We are actually blessed to have two A.A. sons. It is an interesting journey. And you are right about them being cute....I think it is those big dark eyes!

I followed Katie's advice and came by for a visit. Hope the rest of your weekend is blessed.

~Cheryl

bunny said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies, and your nice comments.