Monday, March 22, 2010

In Which I Pay Homage to John Williams

Yesterday, the hubs and I went to another  ASO (that would be Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) concert. Our first afternoon show, as it were. This concert was featuring the music of John Williams, whom I vaguely knew but, after the wonderful show, I have learned so, so much more about the man.

John Williams, in case you don't know, is one of the most prolific score composers of our time. He has been nominated for 45 Academy Awards (YES. I KNOW.) and won five Oscars. Oh, by the way, he also has won 21 Grammys and 4 Golden Globes.

He has scored all but two films for Stephen Spielberg including the well known theme song for Indiana Jones (who doesn't know THAT one? right?). He also has written the scores for Jurassic Park, E.T., Jaws (another infamous one), Superman, Schindler's List, the Harry Potter movies and all six of the Star Wars movies (yet another infamous one). He also wrote the theme song for the NBC Nightly News.

Really, I just say "WOW." How can one person have so much talent?? And to have had so much impact on popular culture through your music. On top of which, film scores are definitely one of the MOST accessible ways to get people to listen to "classical" or symphonic music.

Anyhoodle, if you didn't know who John Williams was, I hope this J.W. primer will help you to appreciate him a little. And I leave you with a short montage selection of some of his "greatest hits." I am off to do some downloading. Enjoy. B.

4 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

There are those who sniff at movie soundtracks -- and I am not one of them -- who need to remember that Mozart was essentially the John Williams of his era. Not exactly, but close enough.

Sonya said...

John Williams is a genius! Glad you enjoyed the show.

Jeff said...

What a treat of a show! Do those songs just not make you feel GREAT? My favorite is the Superman title song. What a nostalgic gem!

bunny said...

JOTE, no sniffin' here either.

Sonya, yes, genius, yes.

Jeff, you are a nostalgic gem, love! :)