Saturday, March 13, 2010

Catch-Up Quicky

Oy, peeps. Can I AGAIN say it has been a LONG week? And now we have to lose an hour of sleep tonight? That ain't right.

Anyhoodle, let me catch you up on the drama of the past two days. Wednesday night, puppy did not eat or drink and, Thursday morning, he had some nasty poo. Fearing a parasite, I took him to our vet for a check-up, but after two different fecal tests on two different stool samples, our vet could find nothing. For now, he is still with us, but we have to make a decision soon, otherwise it's not fair to him.

Honestly, we were all set to adopt the puppy, but now I am just torn about what to do because Thursday I also wound up taking Savannah to the vet. Her sugar was off-the-charts high. Like 396. Then 455 ("normal" is around 100). Then I started feeling guilty because I thought maybe the stress of bringing the puppy home had made her sick. Plus, the puppy is still having poop problems. And Pepsi is all stressed out because Savannah is not here and the puppy is. Oy. Why did I think this situation would be slightly more simple??

Anyhoodle, I did hear from the former mother of the puppy (human, that is) and his parents were a 20 lb. blonde AKC registered Cocker Spaniel and a 10 lb. salt & pepper AKC registered Schnauzer. So he will not be big. Here's another photo, in case you forgot how cute he is:

I have been reading up on puppies on the Internet and, heck, again, why did I think this would be easier?? Plus, he's still having VERY mucusy poopy. Yeah. It's nasty. So something is up with him that we need to get fixed. In other news, I received the information yesterday for my adopted Kenyan child. I think he will be much easier to cope with:

There is information for you to complete about yourself and send photos and letters. I have to read through everything, but I cannot wait to get started! Maybe I can send him the puppy! I keed, I keed! As far as cooking and reading, both have taken a hit since I returned to work, but here are two things I did manage this week:

This is Cognac Chicken from Bo's Bowl blog. I FUBAR'd this up a little by not thoroughly reading the directions. First, I gots a little heavy handed--as in vampire warding off--with the garlic. Then, I did not let the cognac reduce down before putting in the cream. WOOPS! It still turned out ok though, but not great. That was MY bad though, NOT the recipe, so I will def try again the RIGHT way.

I also ordered this book ,which I originally saw in Entertainment Weekly a few weeks back. It is the true story of a African-American woman whose cells were harvested by doctors for research when she died WITHOUT ASKING THE FAMILY. Her cells, known as HeLa cells, have been used to create the cure for polio, and in just about every other type of medical research you can name, making everyone but the family millions of dollars. Then, her children found out. I can't wait to read it.

Well, I am off for lunch then a nap. I need one desperately after the week I have had. Desperately. Did I say desperately? Be back soon. B.

5 comments:

KP said...

I am absolutely flipping to read that book. I heard about it on NPR and it sounds FASCINATING.

What's up with the pup?

blackbird said...

oof!
You've got a lot going on...I hope you get the puppy situation under control...

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

That book sounds fascinating. It's on my "to read" list with about 20 other books right now.

I'm 3 weeks in and not getting used to working 30 hours a week. I have been hovering at 20 hrs/wk for the past 20-25 years.

I'm actually thinking of going to bed in the same calendar day as the one I got up in! What's up with that??

I'm sorry the puppy thing is turning out to be stressful.

bunny said...

KP & LMSS, I CANNOT wait to read that book either. Unfortch, my reading schedule has been WAY off.

KP & BB, Pup is good but, as noted, girls HATE. HIM. It's like a mission to make everything happen in the evenings. Yeah. It's like work.

LMSS, it took me over a month to become adjusted to the new work routine. It will come.

Elisabeth said...

Sorry it has been a bad week for you - looking forward to de-stressing with you tonight!