Thursday, January 07, 2010

So I Missed the Hump Day Holla....

And I don't think I have enough stuff for a Thursday Thirteen, so I am going to do a general update post. All I have been doing is cooking and eating and going to the damn doctor anyway. Seriously. I haven't been to the doctor since last Spring (except my mid-summer boob squeezing) so I needed to go get everything checked out, top to bottom, if you know what I mean. So, I had an appointment on Tuesday and another yesterday morning and all seems to be well. So YEAH.

Tuesday night for dinner, I made Pete's Famous Enchiladas, but this time I made them with ground beef, ricotta cheese and red enchilada sauce. Behold:


Again, I was able to make two big 'ol casseroles full, plus Bobs came for dinner, and we STILL had four containers of leftovers. I will say that I liked the chicken with cottage cheese and green sauce better, but these were still mighty good. I also had 5 very ripe avocados so Bobs made a HUGE dish of guacamole. Yum.

Yesterday, after my second appointment at which my doctor severely bruised all my internal organs while mashing around my gallbladder, I went to the ATL with Bobs. He, of course, had won a gift certificate to Uncle Julio's, where we had a lovely lunch....look:


Mmmm....huge steak salad with the most awesome chipotle ranch dressing, on the side though in honor of my gallbladder. They also have the best chips and salsa here, which maybe my gallbladder did not think was as yummy as I did. Anyhoodle, after lunch, we hustled on over to the DFM, where I picked up some treats:

I said I was going to try more new things, so I picked up a spaghetti squash, which is something I have never cooked before, believe it or not. Anyone have any good recipes? I also picked up some parsnips thinking I might make goulash in the near distant future.

 In the cheapie spice aisle, I gots all the makings to make my own dry brine. I will let you know how this works out or, if it's successful, you may just see "Bunny's Brine" on your grocery shelf soon.

 I also picked up French Batard (no, not BASTARD) and some Gruyere cheese so I could have a do-over on the Croques Madames and make it French style rather than Southern ghetto style. I noticed this cheese is unpasteurized--should I be concerned? Those lazy French!

 Again, in the spirit of trying new things, I picked up an Asian pear (left) and a mango. Yes, I've eaten mango before, but I have never actually bought one and cut it up and such.

 I also bought some "homemade" Puttanesca sauce, you know with capers, olives and anchovies, oh my. Ok, I just found out something interesting when Googling the sauce name. Apparently, Puttanesca is also known as "whore's pasta"--the name originated in Naples after the local women of easy virtue. LOL  I loves it even MORE now.

 This sauce was excellent and I bought fresh made spinach pasta to serve it with and some crusty bread, and made a huge salad of romaine, cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella with a balsamic vinaigritte. Good eatin', peeps, good eatin'.

They are predicting snow later today in the G of A so, of course, all the schools are closed and no store has bread or milk. Silly. Anyhoodle, I have lots of shizz to get done, so I will be back later. Be good, stay warm, wherever you are! B.

7 comments:

robertga99 said...

Split the squashe in half and scrape out seeds. Season the spaghetti squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place flesh side down and roast for 30 to 40 minutes until fully cooked.

Using a fork scrape the hot flesh from the squash

Then serve with your favorite marinara.
OR
simply toss with butter, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt & pepper...YUMMY

ctflack said...

Don't you know it's the Blizzard of 2010, and I am sure will soon be called the storm of the decade (because you can do that since it just started)! :) These people are CRAZY. My meteorologist side predicts maybe an inch, and it won't stick to the roads.

Elisabeth said...

Ya'll came to Uncle Julio's without calling me?! I had some very delish spaghetti squash in Connecticut served with roasted red & yellow peppers.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Oh! The Cheapie Spice Aisle!

I cook the spaghetti squash, scoop it out of the shell and toss with a little butter, parm cheese, cooked frozen peas and a little half-and-half...warm it all up together.

If I have leftover cooked ham I toss that it too.
I have also done it with canned diced tomatoes and some italian spices and parm cheese.

PS: Let the cat in!

Sonya said...

Cutting that mango may be a real pain, unless it's super ripe. Maybe there's some technique or tool that I don't know about, but I've not had a lot of luck with them. Tasty, though.

bunny said...

Thanks, Bobs!

Must be a slow news day, CTF. Sigh. No wonder people think Southerners are stupid.

E, it was a last minutes thingy.

LMSS, the cat IS in...all the time. And how do you cook your squash?

Sonya, Bobs sent me a link to a Yahoo video--I feel prepared.

upset waitress said...

I do what robertga99 does with his spaghetti squash with the parm and butter. It's the only squash I eat, and it's super fun to cook with. =)

PS seeds are on their way.