Tuesday, January 05, 2010

No More Christmas...for Nine Months

Yo, peeps, by 2 p.m. yesterday all the Christmas decor had been safely tucked away and the house had been thoroughly cleaned of glitter. The hubs and I worked all day Saturday and Sunday, not even taking showers until late in the afternoon. I, mean, why?? Because you just wind up covered in glitter. Here was the scene Saturday morning:


Boxes upon boxes upon boxes for ornaments. It took us all day Sunday just to take down the grove of trees...we saved THAT fun until last. But by Sunday evening, it was all tucked away in the Christmas closet:


Except the one rouge gold ball which shattered on the floor. Dude, you cannot escape the Christmas closet! And, peeps, that thing is packed FULL. I can pack some shizz. It's a gift. I have a degree from Phi Cramma Jamma. It's like one of those clown cars where they just keep rolling out...you just keep pulling stuff out. Seriously. Even I am amazed at how much shizz I pack up in there.

Sunday night, my sweet hubs took me out to dinner...we had a BOGO coupon for the local Ruby Tuesday's. Hey, you do what you gots to do when you are living on the cheap. Then, yesterday, we gots up and had to clean the whole house because it was lousy with glitter, fake "needles", a few glass fragments and general dust. But everything is so clean and fresh and lovely now!

Last night, I made a new dish for dinner....see, only a few days into 2010 and already I've made two new concoctions. This meal is a Publix Apron dinner...Monterey Shrimp. My sis turned me onto this recipe. She was practically orgasmic when telling me about it. And I will admit, it has it all...butter, blue cheese, wine. The only thing it doesn't have is bacon, but I believe the secret ingredient makes up for the bacon absence. Plus, it was easy to cook:


First, place your shrimp in a bag with the flour and--I skipped a few steps here and just added garlic salt to the flour mix--toss around, then cook the shrimp until pink.

 After the shrimp are done, add sour cream, wine (actually, I did not have white wine so I added chicken broth; shoot me--I drink reds), blue cheese and pesto to make the sauce. Stir all this up and let it cook....the flour from the shrimp will thicken the sauce a little.

 Next, the surprise ingredient....peel and dice an avocado. Yes, there is a wedge missing...I had to taste test it, ok??

 Gently stir in the avocado and let heat through. When done, serve over your pasta of choice...I used whole wheat spaghetti because that is what I had.


Voila! It's a pretty dish...def company worthy. And quite tasty. I think next time I would add more liquids because it wasn't quite saucy enough for me. This one is a keeper, fer sure. Tonight, I am going to be making Pete's famous enchiladas again, this time with beef and ricotta. I am trying to eat up several things in the fridge/freezer so meals may be more interesting over the coming weeks.

Other than that, not a lot going on. It has been freezing--literally--cold here and I can hardly keep warm. Even the hubs is cold and he never gets cold. We still have not received our December electric bill which worries me that they are having difficulty delivering it since it is so massive. Oy. Anyhoodle, I am off to search for some work and do some work. Be back soon! XO, B.

12 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I can't believe you have a designated Christmas closet. Uh-may-zing.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

That Christmas closet looks like a jigsaw puzzle. Only way one for it all to fit in there.

I threw together a weird dinner after work last night...hot dogs and teriyaki wings from Fresh Market deli, veggie chili, homemade pasta salad. The (adult) children were impressed!

My decor is still up.

ctflack said...

I can't believe you cram all that stuff into that closet!

I am making that shrimp dish this week because I just so happen to have shrimp that I need to do something with. It looks yummy!

bunny said...

JOTE, we have no basement and a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

LMSS, hey, whatever works!

CTF, that's not EVERYTHING--the trees and lights are in the crawl space. That dish is easy AND yummy--you will likes it!

Big sis said...

I told you it was yummy!!! Your final photo of the dish looked pretty enough for a cookbook!

upset waitress said...

Have you tried the same exact, and I mean almost exact dish with beurre blanc? Omit the flour on the shrimp and cream it with "goes straight to your ass" buerre blanc instead. I use gorgonzola because it has a milder stinky foot effect to go along with seafood. It's one of 5 items still on menu's of restaurants I've been fired from on this shitty island.

bunny said...

^Mmmm...so is beurre blanc like white gravy??

Fannie said...

I have a box marked xmas - misc because I ALWAYS find a thing or two long after the other boxes are stowed!

Fannie said...

Oh, and I hate the use of XMAS! ;)

bunny said...

Being raised a good Christian girl, I do NOT use THAT word--I use "Chmas" as an abbreviation (yes, I am lame).

dishinanddishes said...

Okay - I have 2 comments.

#1 - I have not put one single Christmas thing away..I'm SOOO lazy!

#2 - that dish looks amazing. Blue cheese, sour cream, white wine(i DO have from the mussel dish I made Mr. Wonderful), shrimp and avocado? YUMMM!

am thinking adding bacon might not be a bad deal either!

bunny said...

D&D, I am thinking a little bacon crumble on top would be excellent! ;)