Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In Which I Celebrate


Jan. 28, 2009 at 3 p.m.:
I find out I am losing my job.
But my employer agrees to keep me on part-time
doing some freelance work.

April 1, 2009 at 5 p.m.:
My employer tells me they no longer
need my services in any capacity.
I am officially, 110% downsized.

April 2, 2009 at 8 a.m.-Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:29 p.m.:
I cry 400 times.
I gain 50 new grey hairs through worrying.
I take 5 years off my life from stress.
I go to the DOL offices 8 times.
I apply for more than 200 jobs (I stopped counting in November).
I have 19 interviews.
I receive 0 job offers.
Until.....

Jan. 18, 2010 at 2: 30 p.m.:
I am offered a fabulous new job which is a perfect match for me
professionally and personally with a great salary
and good benefits and 15 minutes from my house.
And casual work environment. And pet friendly.
I think about crying, but I decide to celebrate instead:


Yes, it's cheap champagne.
Yes, that is a pilsner glass.
Yes, that is my apron.
Sue me. I am celebrating.

I thought about writing a long, elaborate post about my job loss
and search of the past year, but instead I will make
a list of the things I know are true, looking back in retrospect:

  • Never fool yourself into thinking your boss is your friend. They are your boss. They will be the bearer of bad tidings. And there is a good chance they will throw you under the bus if they have to.
  • If someone tells you they will never throw you under the bus, they will be the first person to throw you under the bus. 
  • The DOL (Department of Labor) really isn't all that bad. They have good resources. The people, though terribly overworked, are willing to help you. They want to find you a job. Encourage anyone you know to utilize what they offer. 
  • Be kind and work hard. When you are down on your luck, people will remember you fondly and be willing to help you.
  • When people do help you, remember to be appreciative and thankful for their kindness. An email, a thank you note, a call. (And thanks to all of you, my bloggy peeps, for the support you gave!)
  • If you have a sabbatical from work, even if it is forced upon you, try to enjoy some of it. I finally realized "enjoying" my unemployment wasn't a sin. I tanned every Wednesday afternoon last summer. I occasionally took naps in the middle of the afternoon. I read lots of books. I spent time with friends and family. I worked in my garden. I only wish I had done more.
  • Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. 
    THE END.

    11 comments:

    robertga99 said...

    AMEN!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

    dishinanddishes said...

    Woohoo! Congrats my friend! I am soooo so happy for you. We too did the unemployment thing (not me - Mr. Wonderful for FIVE, yes count em, FIVE months). It's tough, but you know -it taught us to be so grateful for employment, and in our case, it led to a better atmosphere for him too! Those 5 months were the toughest we had but they made us stronger. Like nails! Again...SO happy for you!

    Cooking Asshole said...

    congrats!

    cannonball comin'!!!

    Sonya said...

    :D

    Jen on the Edge said...

    Woot! Woot! Congratulations!!!

    KP said...

    YAY! YAY! YAY! Congratulations!

    bunny said...

    THANK YOU EVERYONE! I am very happy.

    PS, Cooking Asshole, is a cannonball a Big Ass Sandwich?? ;)

    Elisabeth said...

    Ten days short of a year. Wow. You are an amazing woman, Bunny. Great list & you've got kindness down to an art.

    tiff said...

    So happy for you Bun!

    Little Miss Sunshine State said...

    I think you are going to ROCK that job and they will know that hiring you is the best decision they could have made!

    blackbird said...

    I'm so sorry to be late with my congratulations and I am SO SO SO happy for you!