Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hump Day Recap

Holla, peeps! Yesterday, Bobs and I decided to spend one last day living it up before I head back to the land of the employed. First, we struck out to the happiest place on Earth: IKEA.


I loves me some IKEA. I purchased me a new floor and desk lamp for our home office (with two people in there now, we need more light) as well as some other small items for my new office at work. I also think I might need me a lamp for my desk at work, but I want to wait and see how the light is before I make that investment. My new office has lots of windows (yeah!) which may be enough to offset the glaring overheads that make you look all putrid. After IKEA, Bobs and I decided we wanted to eat lunch somewhere new, so we chose the nearby West Egg Cafe:


They serve breakfast ALL day, but alas, we checked the website too early because, since we checked, they posted that they are MOVING and they were closed for the move. So, this photo was in vain. We were foiled, but foodies always have a backup plan, so we regrouped and drove two blocks to:


The Real Chow Baby. This place is super cool--you get a big bowl to fill with your starch (rice or noodles), veggies, sauces and spices, then a separate bowl for your protein, and they stir fry it all up for you on this HUGE griddle thingy. Here is Bob's concoction:


So many choices, so many decisions, and so affordable! Technically, it is all you can eat for $7.99 at lunch but, trust me, one trip and you are too full to move. We gots some tips from the very nice fellow in line in front of us about "balancing your bowl" so we were like pros. They can also make your choices into a soup, wrap or salad. Cool. Cool. Cool.

After lunch, we decided to go see Avatar, which Bobs has been aggravating the shit out of me wanting to go see for a while. I was on the fence about Avatar--lots of acclaim but just wasn't sure I was going to be into it. We opted for the 3D version and, let me tell you, it was great! Esp. the battle scenes at the end. Some of the criticism has been that the story is weak and, yeah, it sorta is, but the effects are incredible, even if you are not into special effects. James Cameron is a mother-'effin genius. A very, very, very rich mother-'effin genius.

Even though I wasn't hungry when I came home last night after our gorge fest at lunch, I actually did manage to make dinner, and a new recipe at that, so there. The dish was Cuban Beef Picadillo from W-S:


This recipe was interesting--sorta like fancy Hamburger Helper or Cuban spaghetti. A friend asked me last year if I had ever heard of it and I had not but I found a recipe and decided to give it a whirl for kicks and giggles. The unique taste of the dish comes from the spices--it contains cinnamon and allspice as well as raisins.


First, you brown ground beef and onions, then add the spices. It's very fragrant, that's for sure.


Next, you add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar, raisins and beef broth, and let it simmer until it reaches a thicker, stew-like consistency.


The recipe suggests serving over rice, which I did. I will say that the flavors are subtle, and I think this is one of those dishes that may be better second day (once the flavors have more time to meld). Also, it made a TON--we both ate, I dished up three containers of leftovers, and then froze a quart baggies of the "sauce." I was trying to think if there would be any cheese that might be good sprinkled on top, however, with the sweetness of the raisins and allspice,I am not sure what that would be. Ideas??

Last night, I went out again looking for a laptop. I found one which I am going back to buy today. If all goes well, hopefully my laptop and new laser printer will be installed tomorrow. Cross your fingers and say a prayer for me to the computer gods. I hate it, but my history with most things electronic isn't so great.

Well, lots to do today, so I'm off. Be back soon with laptop reports! Later, taters! B.

3 comments:

KP said...

I love Chow Baby - and I miss it!

Jen on the Edge said...

Ah, Ikea. One of my favorite places on Earth.

robertga99 said...

Good Times, Good Food & Bobs!
you are one lucky girl
hehehe
j/k