Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Year in Review: The Firsts

Ok, so there are two or so weeks left in this year, but I thought I would go ahead and take a look back at all the fabulous, awkward, weird and wonderful FIRSTS that happened to me in 2009. This list is sorta in order, sorta not, but it hits most of the highlights I can remember (which is an issue unto itself). Here we go!
  • Lost my job due to workforce reduction
  • Entered the 4th decade of my life (well, really the 5th)
  • Went to not one, but TWO, all day wine tastings with two very different but very interesting people
  • Had both of my nephews spend the night, not once, but TWICE
  • Went tubing on the Chattahoochee River, again, not once, but TWICE
  • Went kayaking on Lake Lanier
  • Went kayaking on the Chattahoochee River
  • Made pickles, goulash, cucumber soup, bread salad and olive tapenade (to name a few of my favorite FIRST dishes/recipes)
  • Picked figs
  • Ate Ethiopian food (first time ever, ever)
  • Ate Greek food (first time at a Greek restaurant)
  • Saw Depeche Mode in concert
  • Saw the Pet Shop Boys in concert
  • Saw the ASO Gospel Choir in concert
  • Hiked to the top of Stone Mountain, you guessed it, not once, but TWICE
  • Attended a college football game
  • Won a prize on the radio
  • Visited the fine state of Virginia
  • Had someone throw a surprise party in my honor
  • Drank stouts and porters (and found out I liked them)
  • Drank limoncello and cognac (well, not at the same time)
  • Visited the Botanic Gardens at the University of Georgia and met Allan Armitage
  • Became a professional resume writer (as part of my freelance business)
  • Took a web design class
  • Read 40 books in one year (well, since becoming an adult out of college)
Wow! That's kinda an impressive list! No, there are not many earth-shattering, bucket-list items on there, but I am proud of making a vow to keep my mind open and say "YES" as often as possible and doing just that. I decided I needed to live up to one of my favorite quotes:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."--Mark Twain

In addition, I have met all kinds of INTERESTING and WONDERFUL peeps right here on these Internets as well as become reacquainted with many beloved peeps from my past. Though in many ways this has been a trying year, it has also been one of my best.Thanks for being there for my journey and I hope you stick around for 2010! Lots of Bunny love! B.

9 comments:

Cooking Asshole said...

Virgina sucks! Go Maryland!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I'm sticking around!
Here's to more FIRSTS in 2010.

Elisabeth said...

Excellent post & excellent idea for a post...I may steal. And, congrats on your year of accomplishments!

bunny said...

CA, you obviously have not been to W/SW VA which is quite lovely.

LMSS, maybe a "FIRST" for 2010 will be meeting you!

E, steal away, steal away!

robertga99 said...

Glad I could be a part of a few of them. Here's to many more! Cheers! Bring on the Prosseco

bunny said...

Bobs, you were a part of many of them--I was just thinking that last night as I wrote--so thanks for being my FIRSTS mentor! And, that's another thing--I drank Prosecco for the first time this year!

upset waitress said...

Speaking of Greek, have you met a hermaphrodite yet? It's a must do.

bunny said...

Well, U.W., not one that I KNEW of...but I have a friend who is a polyamorous nudist...does that count??

upset waitress said...

Depends. Describe your friends genitals to me and I'll tell you.