Monday, December 21, 2009

Monday.....Isn't It???

Ack! Peeps, I cannot even remember what day it is. Life, the holidays and my general lack of memory all add up to severe day of the week dementia. Anyhoodle, other than last minute holiday scramble, there isn't much going on here, so I am just going to catch you up on some randomness.

First, cooking. It has been, to quote my moms, colder than a witch's titties in a brass bra here in the G-of-A, but that's fine with me because that means soups, stews and chilis weather. Saturday night, I made a big 'ol pot of my favorite Publix chili  however, I used some coarse ground beef I bought at the Publix Friday:


This grind is sorta cool and sorta gross at the same time. It looks like baby fingers, or maybe cat intestines, but it does make a nice texture difference in the chili.

 I know I have said this a million times, but this chili is SO easy-peasy and cracktastically delicious. I added an extra can of beans and tomatoes and we had plenty to eat plus three days of leftover lunches. Woo-hoo. Publix also needs to put me on the payroll for all the blog time I devote to them. Word.

 One night recently (Friday??) I made my famous Shrimp Creole. Okay, okay! It's Southern Living's famous Shrimp Creole, but it is also super easy and, believe it or not, quite healthy. Those peppers? Frozen from my garden. Delish.

 
I don't think big onions are supposed to sprout green things, right??  Oh, well, moving on.

 
In other news, I have been enjoying some Dogfish Head Punkin Ale I found at a local package store, waaaaay in the back room. It isn't been produced anymore this year, but it is quite tasty--real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg, says the label. Those nuts? Winter spiced Planters premium mix. MMM-MMM-good with the Punkin Ale.


In other unrelated news, I was caught up in the CF of madness that is holiday traffic recently, when I spotted this large Chevy truck in front of me with some writing.....can't make it out.....(oh, and catch the "Jesus Fish" on the tailgate....those are REAL popular here. Not being a heathen, but it seems these are the same folks who will cut you off in traffic while trying to light their cigarette....just sayin').


Anyhoodle, on the close up, seems this fellow's "daddy" passed away and is now flying with "dem" angels. Really? You are going to eulogize your father on your truck? And using poor, poor grammar? That's just wrong. I totally do not understand this type of thing. Or those "roadside" memorials of white crosses and fake flowers. Maybe I am just a callous, cold bitch, but it all just seems a little conspicuous to me (and by "conspicuous" I mean "tacky"). 

On another note, I would love to stay holed up until next Monday....I STUPIDLY went to Kohl's today and it was a zoo. Luckily, no one was too rude, but traffic and lines and general holiday mayhem are at code orange level. My mom and I are venturing out in the morning to Sam's to buy some vittles for Christmas Eve dinner. No, I don't know what the
Hell we were/are thinking. Wait, I remember now! Cheap. Jugs. of. Wine.

Oh, for the Hump Day Holla this week, I think I am going to do a 2009 "Best Of" post and I am considering a little giveaway. So tune in Wednesday! Later! B.

7 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

There is no chance in hell that I would eulogize any relative, friend, or other human, animal, or other creature on the back of my car.

Then again, in the interest of full disclosure, there are no stickers or other decorations of any kind on our cars. No Jesus (or Darwin) fish, no political stickers, no "My kid is an honor roll student..." stickers, nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

ctflack said...

Okay, that meat uncooked just really grosses me out. I can't cook with it. And, I don't get the eulogies on the backs of cars either. Seems rather strange to me! Merry Christmas!

bunny said...

JOTE, Mr. Martha and I are anti-car decoration too. We have a small, tasteful sticker that says "Cairn Terrier"--that's it.

CTF, Yeah, that meat is a little hard to handle, psychologically speaking, but it is strangely fascinating at the same time.

robertga99 said...

I just had a conversation with my sister about roadside memorials. Why would people want to put a memorial at the spot where their loved one died? I don't get it!

bunny said...

Me neither, Bobs, me neither.

tiff said...

I have told my husband many times...if you put my name on your car after I die, I will haunt you...in a seriously scary,psycho kind of way. What are people thinking?!? It's amazing how many of these tacky car memorials you see around the good ole South! Come on people! Get a grip!

upset waitress said...

Oh dear gawd I want to marry that onion.