Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Hump Day Holla

Oh, peeps. Yuck. That's all I can say. It's been wet and cold and just yuck. My neck is all broken out due to hormones. I, mean, it's GREAT to be 40 going on 14, isn't it?? I have been fighting a cold and fighting off the blues and just ready to fight somebody. But I've been cooking! Yeah! Lots of cooking. Because food soothes me. And if I don't find a job soon, I will be the next 400+ pound contestant on The Biggest Loser. But let's focus on cooking, shall we?

Sunday night, I made the Williams Sononma goulash. Y'all have to try this. It's a tiny bit labor intensive because of all the chopping, but oh so good.


First, saute up some leeks and bell peppers in a big pot with caraway seeds. The spices really make this recipe and the caraway is mild yet memorable.

 Next, make a little well in the middle of the veggies and throw in your beef to brown with the smoked paprika. Again, the spices make this yummy. Brown up the beef and stir in all together. 

 Put in your stock and then let it simmer for a while until the beef in tender. The longer you can let it cook, the better. Just watch your liquid levels.

 Next, throw in your carrots, potatotes, parsnip and tomatoes. Stir it up and let it simmer some more. Again, the longer you can let it go, the better. You want your veggies to be tender, but beyond that, you want the flava.

 MMMMM, Yeah, it's really just sorta fancy beef stew but so flavorful. Serve with a crusty roll or bread (may I suggest the Publix 5 Grain rolls?) and a nice green salad with winter fruits and nuts. This makes a TON--we had dinner plus enough leftovers for three more meals!
 
 Last night, I made Baked Potato Soup. It's just been soup weather here with all the cold and rain and yuck. Let me say upfront: This recipe is NOT low-fat. It requires butter, bacon AND cheese. I even cut back the butter and bacon, but I am sure my heart is hurting today from all the heavy lifting of carrying around those cholesterol molecules.

  This other thing about this recipe? Once you start cooking it, you have to stay with it, almost constantly stirring because of the milk and thickening part of the recipe. So have everything else ready to go before you start. Just sayin.'

 The end result was good--maybe a little thick for me--and it probably needed more salt. Seems like you can never salt potato soup enough! I don't know that I would make this particular recipe again, but it wasn't BAD either. In other cooking news, here's a gadget update:


Remember my garlic peeler I gots at W-S? Well, it works beautifully. Great investment for $9 and no stinky hands! Score!

 
And look at my new mortar & pestle I gots for a steal at the W-S outlet! Think this will come in handy the next time I need to crush some spices. I could have used it the other night for those damn caraway seeds.

 And I also picked me up a dough scraper, but to use to help get up chopped veggies and such. I get a little tired of dumping half of them in the floor trying to scoop them with my hands. Though the dogters love it.

Anyhoodle, that's all for now. I am off like a herd of turtles to do some work. Hope you are are warm, happy and loved, wherever you are! XO, B.

3 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

DFM and W-S Outlet...just rub it in, OK?

I'm spending this week (in between long stretches at the Shower Gel Store) reaquainting myself with my convection oven/microwave that has been in storage for 3 years.

Too many people have the blues lately. That's normal at Christmas for me, but I'm surprised at how many other people are going through it.

bunny said...

LMSS, when you gonna come visit your bro so we can shop?? :)

Hey, I love that new White line from the Shower Gel Store...I have an outlet for them near my house too.

As far as the blues, yeah, I hate to be old-fogey woman, but, for me, Christmas is less exciting as I get older.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Did you know the White line is now 50% off?

It's my husband's sister that lives in Decatur. We manage to get up there once every 2 or 3 years!