Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hump Day Holla: Best of 2009 (+ Contest!)

Yo, dudes! I know I did a post on my personal best for 2009, but I also wanted to do a post on some of the great things I discovered this year, from music to cooking tools, that are now in permanent rotation at Casa Bunny. Now, I am not saying these things are new to the world at large, but they were new to me in 2009, so, hence their inclusion on the list. Of course, this list relied up my memory, which is for shit, so I hope I didn't forget anything good. And I hope you enjoy!

Bunny's Best of 2009

 Best Book I Read
Winner: America's Boy by Wade Rouse
Runner-Up: Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper

You can see why I love Wade and his book here.
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you should read it. Now.
You can read my review of Book of Joe here.
Oddly, both by men (odd, because I rarely read male authors).


Best New to Me Restaurant (Where I Actually Dined)
Winner: Watershed in Decatur, Ga.
Runner-Up: Parma in Buford, Ga.

Watershed--great food, great song (by the Indigo Girls).
Parma was more recent but a nice surprise.


 Best New to Me Song
Winner: Broken by Lifehouse
Runner-Up: A Beautiful Mess by Jason Mraz
Honorable Mention: Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson

This? Was a hard category. As much as I love music, it was hard to choose two, hence three, and at least four or five more were contenders. Funny, as much as I stray from "dark" literature, I love dark, sad music. Actually, in looking at the list above, it sort of describes the three quarters of my life during 2009, in order.


 Best Movie on the Big Screen
Winner: The Hangover
Runner-Up: Milk

The Hangover because it made me laugh longer and harder than any movie I can remember in a long, long time. Maybe ever. Milk because it made me think longer and harder about many aspects of life than any movie I can remember in a long, long time.


 Best Movie Rented From Netflix
Winner: Young at Heart
Runner-Up: Jimmy Carter: Man From Plains

What can I say? Both of these are documentaries, and both taught me things about being a good, decent person who lives life to the fullest and fights the good fight.


Best New to Me Food Find
Winner: Publix Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Runner-Up: Fiber One Toaster Pastry in Brown Sugar Cinnamon

The ice cream needs no explanation. The Toaster Pastry? Hello, I am Bunny and I have a hidden Pop Tart addiction. These pastries fulfill my desires, but are not shameful because they have like 20 grams of fiber. Which is good for us old folks. So there.


Best New Cooking Tool
Winner: Caphalon Square Grill Pan
Runner-Up: Le Creuset Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Honorable Mention: Battery-Operated, One-Handed Pepper Mill

The Caphalon won on sheer usage alone. The Le Creuset cast iron is everything it is billed to be and more. The Pepper Mill is easily the most extravagant yet useful kitchen toy I've ever had.


Best New Recipe/Dish (Which I Actually Cooked)
Winner: Panzanella (Bread Salad)
Runner-Up: Goulash


Originally a Rachel Ray recipe, the Bread Salad took on an original twist under my hand. Bread, fresh cheese, salty cured meat, fresh tomatoes, good EVOO and fresh basil? What's not to love? The Goulash is a fresh, yummy twist on beef stew. Try it this winter. Yo.


Best TV Show
Winner: Glee
Runner-Up: Top Chef, New York and Las Vegas

Glee, hands down, no contest. And, ok, Top Chef is sorta cheating BUT both seasons were in 2009.


Best New To Me Beers
Winner: Brown Shugga by Lagunitas
Runner-Up: Chocolate Stout by Rogue

Really, these probably could have been any beers by Lagunitas OR Rogue, two stellar breweries. Haven't had a bad beer from either yet.


Best New To Me Wines
Winner: Consilience 2006 Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara County
Runner-Up: Four Vines 2007 Old Vine Cuvee Zinfandel, California
 
Again, many choices here. But not for the winner. That Consilience is the best vino to ever pass these lips, I do believe. I could never afford it--I cannot even FIND it--so I was grateful someone else funded my tasting. The Four Vines was one standout, and tied to my meal at Watershed, which makes it more memorable.


Best New To Me Beauty Product
Winner: Winter White Cool line at Bath & Body Works
Runner-Up: Vaseline Body Oil Gel in Cocoa Butter

I gave up on makeup this year, being unemployed and all, but I still had to smell good and be smooth. The White line was a recent discovery, but I love it because it smells clean. I like the smell of clean. The Vaseline body gel takes me straight to the beach. And that? Is never a bad thing.


Other Bests

Best New Sweet Find: Dark Chocolate with Chilis
Discovered in Virginia. This Chocolove bar is ridiculous good.

Best New Household Product: Glass Plus
Rocks the super large mirror in the master bath. Word.

Best Guilty Pleasure: Party in the U.S.A. by Miley Cyrus
Really. I don't EVEN want to hear it. Trust me, my shame runs deep.

Best New Fashion Purchase: Silver Lining Earrings from Etsy
Fun, funky, unusual, artsy, original--just like Bunny. THE earring of my summer. Plus the title is so apropos to how I am trying to approach life.


Ok, so here's the contest: What's your "Best" Find of 2009? It can be any of the categories above or make up a new one! Just leave your entry in the comments section of this post by 9 p.m. E.T. Sunday, December 27 (ONE entry per person, please; I am giving SEVERAL days since it is the holidays and people are busy partying and traveling and such).

Next Monday morning, I will announce the winner, a random selection from among entries, and that person will win a $15 Amazon gift card to buy a little some'in-some'in that may become a favorite for 2010. I know it isn't much, but I just wanted to thank all of you who comment, lurk and otherwise support BGR--I appreciate you!

I will be posting through the holidays, though maybe not as frequently or as long, so tune in when you can. Have a great holiday, be safe, and remember to spread joy, love and laughter wherever you go. Peace! B.

12 comments:

upset waitress said...

Best beauty product 2009: I got a lip gloss that suppresses the appetite. Mainly because the shiny goop seals my mouth shut. But eh, I lost two lbs. so far.

Katie said...

Okay - somewhere we are kindred spirits living in the culinary world. Chocolate stout? LOVE IT! I am going to have to get those books too - I always love new book finds. Cool list -I may have to rip you off on that one this time! LOL

KP said...

OK miss:


Best New To Me Beauty Product
Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner! LOVES IT!

blackbird said...

This is quite the meme! Such a lot of work and SO interesting!

Happy and merry!

bb

Jen on the Edge said...

I discovered Google Reader, which revolutionized my blog reading.

I discovered Lands' End's fleece half-zip pullovers, which now keep me toasting warm when I walk/jog/ride my bike/hang out.

And, I discovered that breaking things off with a couple of horrible,nasty, breathtakingly- mean relatives has made me feel 50 pounds lighter and 10 years younger.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

If you love me, you'll send me the Cast iron Dutch Oven.

I'm watching the GLEE reruns right this minute.

LOVE, LOVE Ingrid

Best Lip Gloss-C.O.Bigelow Winter Cordials Vanilla Eggnog

Best New Adult Beverage-Amaretto&Cranberry

I'm totally stealing this blog idea.I will give you the Full Shoutout

Sonya said...

So I jumped on the couponing bandwagon this year. Forgive me for promoting another blog in your comments, but this one is completely different from bunnygoround.

Best site for bargains/coupon matchups/etc. - southernsavers.com

Bunny B said...

Great list! My best new find would be Soap & Glory's The Righteous Butter!!!

Big Sis said...

Some of my "new" favorites from this year:
Estee Lauder Doublewear Light (the "lighter" version of their Doublewear foundation; great for summer or whenever you don't want to be too made up)

Avalon Organics Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum (I am known to bounce from beauty product to beauty product; this is actually one that I rebought. Awesome stuff. Use it under my moisturizer in the morning!)

Canon Powershot SD780IS digital camera (so cute; red and tiny enough to fit in my pocket)

Website: Redstamp.com (I have an uhealthy obsession with stationery; this website fueled it more!)

Recipe: Monterey Shrimp with Suga Snap Peas (a Publix Apron meals recipe-----OMG!!
http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/AllRecipes/SimpleMeal.do?mealId=209&mealGroupId=1000

Dishin And Dishes said...

Merry Christmas! I hope your family and food is as great as it can be! Blessings to you!

robertga99 said...

Best of Food:
Farro Salad from DFM
YUMMY

Elisabeth said...

Best Reads of 2009
Ava's Man
The Space Between Us
The Book Thief
Perfume
Runaway

Best Book on Tape
Between, Georgia

Best New Wine Find
Gabbiano Chianti

Best "new to me" fine dining
Serpas

Best 'new to me' tavern dining
Marlow's Tavern

Whoo Hoo! Here's to 2010!!