Sunday, November 08, 2009

In Which My Liver Attempts to Recover

Dudes! Happy Sunday! I know my blogs of the past weekish have not been very...inspired. Ok, they were for shit. But, I ain't lying when I say it's been slim pickins' around here for anything interesting, dramatic or otherwise newsworthy. I mean, I could make some shizz up, but I am all about keeping it real. However, I am about to embark on an extra long post, so settle in.

First of all, Friday night I finally cooked a decent meal--beef roast and the trimmings--and, let me tell you, it was a roast to make grown men weep. The Publix had some fine looking hunks of meat on sale, so I splurged a little and bought one. I seared it up in my cast iron dutch oven, then whisked up some beef seasoning, red wine, herbs and onion, poured it over the top, and let it cook long and slow. Yep, I like my roast cookin' just like I like my lovin'. It was yummy tender and the broth reduced down to a wonderful gravy texture, perfect over the taters. Behold:


So, "check" for first roast of season. Yes, ma'am, cooler temps means cool weather foods--stews, soups, chilis, roasts...and I am ready, so buckle up and stay tuned for more wonders to come.

Yesterday, my friend B. and I went to a local wine festival and spent the day getting our vino on. But before we hit the wine festival, we journeyed to Hop City. See B. is the friend who introduced me to good beer, so I wanted to be the one to introduce her to Hop City. I wound up buying six types of beer--four that are new to me--but rather than tell you now, I will do a slow reveal as I drink and review them here in the upcoming weeks. I'm such a tease, ain't I? Anyhoodle, back to the wine fest.


Yes, it was the 8th annual Decatur Wine Festival and having never been, we didn't know what to expect, but first, we had to fortify with something to soak up the alcohol some lunch. So, we wound up at my new fave dive bar, Brick Store Pub. You may remember that I have been here once before and RAVED about it, but honestly, I am too lazy to link to that post, so I will just say again that it is quite good and has lots of interesting beers on tap and in bottle. It was where I discovered my beloved Brown Shugga, which, by the way, was one of the beers I picked up at Hop City. Squee! B. and I decided to do appetizer sampler, so here's what we chose:


Fresh, homemade pretzels....perfect for beer.....


Delish roasted red hummus..... 


And a yummy pasta salad with buffalo mozzarella and a super fantastic balsamic dressing. For libations, I chose:


Double Bastard Ale by Stone Brewing. You may remember a few weeks back, I tried their Arrogant Bastard Ale at the local pizza joint, so I decided to go all in with the Double Bastard. And Oh. My. This beer is serious. It will put hair on your chest. Or strip it off. When they brought out that little glass--that had the name of the beer written on in case you got all fuzzy while drinking it and forgot--I was like "Hell no! I need a double. Should be called Cheap Bastard." But then I realized to drink more than the served amount would require assistance walking. The alcohol content is 10.5%. Holy Hell. If you want to drink something special, and you have big ones, try this beer. If you don't have big ones, you will after drinking Double Bastard. Word.

So, reeling slightly from the Double Bastard, B. and I swooned across the street to the wine festival where 2000 of our closest wino friends awaited. And 50 tables of wines from around the world.

 Y'all, this? Was a GOOD festival. B. and I were movin' it and only made it to about 23 tables, sampling approx. one wine at each and sharing sips, and we were just overwhelmed. [PS, for those of you who are all "you're supposed to spit out the wine when tasting," I say, "screw 'dat!" Everyone knows swallowing is better. ;)] After two hours, it all started to blur into a grape-colored fog and our livers were starting to shut down and we decided to call it a day. But not before we ran upon this GEM of an artist:


Can I tell you how much I LOVES this art?

 I LOVES it TOTES.

 The artist is Erin Smith, and she lives in the Decatur area.

 
Delightful. I laughed until I wept.

 Even better, the "heads" are from vintage photos of Erin's relatives. Her art is quirky and campy and fun. And that's how I like it.

 This is the one I bought, but it was terribly hard to decide. I think I need at least two or three more.

After we left Erin's booth, we found the food samples tables including awesome blue cheese, bacon & onion risotto from Feast restaurant in Decatur. I am having the vapors just thinking about it again. It was just ridiculous. I have never been to Feast but have heard great things about it, and now I feel I must have more. Delish.

After leaving the fest, we decided to head over to the DFM (that would be Dekalb Farmer's Market) to see if we could find any of the delish wines we had sampled. Eureka! We were in luck, though B. was much more indulgent than me since I had already been on a budget bender all day long. I did, however, buy some of their fabulous orange cranberry walnut bread which I whipped into French toast this morning on B.'s recommendation. Lawd. It was yummers.

In all, yesterday was great day with a great friend and with lots of new things experienced and discovered. Last night, I fell asleep during the weekly Netflix with the hubs, and this morning my side was sore. I think my liver is bruised. But I think it was worth it. Word. Be back soon, peeps! Love ya! B.

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Not to mention, you first tried Brick Pub Store on the day MJ died...

Love the artist! I can't believe you didn't get the monkey one! I can't decide on my fav either...do love the boots, though.

KP said...

The roast looks soooooooo yummy.
The art is FAB! I love it.

bunny said...

E., I am trying to block that horrible day from my mind... :) but it is one I will always remember.

And the monkey print was my first pick, but was not available in a small (read: affordable for me) format. I also love the "Slap the Crap" one--it was a toss-up between it and the one I chose.

KP, I KNEW you would love that art! It's so YOU. hehe

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I love that little area of Decatur.
I bought my favorite wallet there.

I think that artist is brilliant.

DFM *sigh*