Saturday, November 14, 2009

Glee-Full

In case I have not said it enough, I love, Love, LOVE Glee. Yes, my name is Bunny and I am a Glee addict. I don't care that the show is targeted to a group way outside my demographic. I was SO super excited last spring when I saw all the promos. Then I about wet my pants after the premiere. And I have been an avid watcher this fall. And I cannot TELL you how excited I am that the show is doing well. I just hope the writers stay true to the formula and keep it going.

I can't tell you why I love Glee, except 1) it centers around music and I just love music, 2) I think the characters are great and have so much potential, and 3) it's smart and funny and touching and surprising and just wonderful. This past week's episode was my favorite so far because it focused not on Mr. Shuster or Rachel or Finn (I was getting a tad tired of them) but on a few of the show's awesome secondary characters including Kurt (my ABSOLUTE favorite--the actor, Chris Colfer, and the character) and Artie (we finally found out a little about him!). There were so many little insights shared that to miss a minute would have meant to miss a telling glance or a line that helped define someone. It was wonderful writing and acting, all around.

But the BEST moment was the "Diva Off" when Kurt and Rachel compete to see who will sing Defying Gravity from Wicked, the musical. [TANGENT: I read Wicked and really liked it (surprisingly so) and would love to see the musical. This song is a showstopper.] The words in this song are particularly telling of Kurt's situation, being a young gay man already facing discrimination and hatred and knowing he has even more struggles ahead of him because of his sexuality. Because of his situation, he sings the song with feeling that Rachel's character, with her big "Broadway" voice, cannot bring. It's just pure and full of emotion, and almost brings me to tears. It has stuck with me since Wednesday and I have listened to it about 200 times this morning. Take a listen:



As someone who has/had many gay friends over the years, I appreciate Kurt's character and Chris Colfer's acting, giving Kurt sadness, confusion, insight, longing, and fight, all rolled into one. And I thank the writers for not making him a characature. And for making his dad accepting and loving regardless of his son's choices. Good job, Glee writers. Good job.

On another note, I have decided to make this song my personal theme song. So screw you, all those who want to bring me down. Kiss me goodbye, I am defying gravity.

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap


It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you won't bring me down

I'm through accepting limits
''cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know

As someone told me lately
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity
I'm flying high
Defying gravity 


PS, To all my readers who are not Glee fans, I'm sorry, both that you may not "get" this post and that you are not watching this show. :) Love, Bunny

11 comments:

KP said...

Hey, Julie, do you love Glee? I'm not sure from your post. Just come out and tell us already!

LOL!

bunny said...

Who's Julie???? This is Bunny's blog, but if Julie loves Glee then she must be a great gal! :)

KP said...

Sorry Bun, I was thinking of a very cool girl..

Sonya said...

You HAVE to see Wicked. Fantastic show! You'd love it.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE GLEE!!
And Kurt is also my favorite character. His Dad is awesome.

I DVR the show and many weeks I watch it twice.
I was a chorus geek from 5th grade to the day I graduated from high school.

Since I bought the Wicked cast recording I have played it at least 100 times.
Have you heard any of Idina Menzel's CD?

Elisabeth said...

You must see Wicked. My hubs is really wanting to as well, so first chance we get...and, while we've not been as loyal as you are to the show, we did catch last week's episode - I agree - one of the best so far.

bunny said...

LMSS, I have not heard any of Menzel's CDs...I will have to check them out.

E, if it comes back to the ATL, we are there.

ctflack said...

LOVE GLEE! Possibly my favorite show of the season. I don't know why I love it so much either, and I am really surpised by how many people do. The only thing I can think of is that I think everyone no matter how "cool" they were back in high school and relate to those characters and what they go through. My favorite character is also Kurt. He is awesome, and I still dance around doing his little dance before kicking the football. Also love Emma. And, Puck cracks me up b/c he tries to be too cool for school, but he gets into those performances the most out of all of them. "I'm just really stressed about the bake sale!" Love it, could go on for hours, but I won't. :)

Mariella said...

I LOVE Glee so much. It's an awesome shoe, awesome!

http://a-girl-like-moi.blogspot.com

bunny said...

Welcome to BGR, Mariella! Thanks for sharing your love of Glee!

Karly said...

Looooove Glee. As you already know. :)

I think my favorite episode was the one where the football team danced. It just made me giggle so much.