Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bitches, Bunny is Back

PEEPS! Oh, how I have missed you. It has been a wonderful week, but with no way to express myself via written word, I was given to talking up total strangers about the most random things. And, you know, some people sorta think you are 'effin crazy when you start doing that. A little charming perhaps, but crazy.

Anyhoodle, I can now come completely clean about my past week. See, the hubs and I went on vacay. Yep. It had been TWO LONG YEARS since we last went away together. Last year, we abstained from vacay because we were remodeling. This year, of course, I lost my job, but we said "What the Hell!" I mean, I needed me a little joie de vivre, dudes. Seriously. So, we packed up the girls and headed off to the great state of Virginia. You know, 'cause Virginia is for lovers, and it was the anniversary of our nuptials and all.

Here we are, halfway through the butt-numbing 8-hour drive up. The world's cutest GPS system helped Daddy with the navigating.

The ride up was excruciatingly long because we drove part of the way up on the Blueridge Parkway. The Parkway is lovely, with lovely views (see above), however, it is slow going because of its curvy-ness. Seven hours in a car at one stretch is about my limit. Word.

We stayed in a little loft in downtown historic Bedford, between Lynchburg and Roanoke. This is a view of the town courthouse from the front of our building.

Sunday, we went to Poplar Forest, Thomas Jefferson's (heretofore to be called T.J.) "vacation" home. It was built as an octagon. Yes. The house has eight sides. That crazy T.J.

The part of Virginia (central/southwest) we were in was incredibly scenic. While riding through the mountains one day, we saw more deer than I have every seen in my life. Just on the side of the road. Standing there.

This is what it looks like driving down pretty much most roads. Rolling pastures, lush valleys and rippled mountains in the distance.

To envision the rolling mountains a little better, here is a photo of the James River with the Appalachians in the background. Stunning.

We tripped up to Charlottesville one day for a tour of T.J.'s main pad, Monticello. Beautiful, beautiful gardens. And the view? Priceless.

Monticello sits atop a mountain, looking down on Charlottesville. This view is of the vegetable gardens. Can I even tell you how much I wet my pants upon seeing this garden? And this photo? Is just part of it. The employees share in the spoils from the garden. So. jealous.

Later, that day, we did the tour of University of Virginia, which T.J. founded. Yep. He was a busy man. Being president and starting colleges and keeping up several large homes and all. Shown here is the view of the Rotunda, designed by T.J., from the lower lawn. This campus is simply lovely. Made me want to head straight for admissions and enroll. The tour was probably my favorite part of the trip. It was conducted by a student who was full of interesting "insider" knowledge and, even better, it was FREE.

We made the trip north another day to visit the historic (hell, everything in Virginia is historic, ok?) town of Staunton. I am so moving here. Soon. It's so full of cute houses and old churches and a cool women's college. And the future home of my brew pub (more on that in the next post). This is Trinity Church, which houses approx. a dozen Tiffany stained glass windows. Tiffany, peeps. Yo.

Here is a detail of one of my favorite windows. Incredibly breathtaking. The photo does not do it justice. I tell you, Bunny loves her a good old church. Even better is a good old church full of stained glass windows. But best is a good old church full of Tiffany stained glass windows. Word.

We also visited Appomattox, site of the end of the Civil War. So odd that such a bloody, bitter war could end so quickly, so simply. This photo is the path into the town--the same path the Southern soldiers took all those years ago to surrender.

This totally coolio building is the Taubman Museum of Art in Roanoke. A completely spontaneous visit on our part proved to be one of my favorite things--awe-inspiring architecture and a really nice collection, esp. the more contemporary exhibits.

I took this photo on the road from Appomattox. Breathtaking. In all, it was a wonderful week, full of new experiences, people and places. By the end though, I was worn out (1500+ miles does not feel good on a 40-year-old ass) and ready to return to Casa Bunny. But I am already planning our next visit and, out of the many places I have visited, I could completely see myself living in Virginia.

And, the food. Oh. My. I hate to say I gained four pounds this week, even with all the walking. I will have to cover all those goodies in another post. So tune back in soon! So glad to be back! B.

4 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Welcome back. Awesome road trip. Great pics.

If you ever visit me, I'll take you to the Morse Museum in Winter Park,FL. It has the largest collection of Tiffany everything in the US. Windows, lamps, an entire CHAPEL done in mosaic and stained glass.

bunny said...

**AUDIBLE GASP** How's next weekend for ya? ;)

ctflack said...

Welcome back. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Great pictures!

bunny said...

CTF, I thought about you in my Va. lottery dreams while returning home. I have a whole master plan that involves your hubs renovating my restaurant in Staunton and helping run my organic Va. farm, and you being the PR director for our Va. food empire. Are you in??