Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thoughts for Thursday

Let's just jump right in, today, ok peeps?
  • Mercy, I didn't know what a firestorm of paranoia I would create with that last post's rant on cleanliness! First, in case you think differently, Bunny is NOT so stupid as to post comments pointed directly toward her obviously tender-hearted readers. The people mentioned in said post are folks twice or thrice removed from B., and certainly none of the readers I personally know. That would be mean. I am not (usually) purposefully mean.
  • While watching So You Think You Can Dance last night (Shut up...it's the only decent thing on TV until the Real Housewives of Atlanta starts next week. Word.), I saw the commercial for the movie based on The Time Traveler's Wife. Holy crap! Why didn't someone TELL ME?? I mean, I knew there was a movie, but I did not know it's opening Aug. 12! I have to read the book before I can see the movie. And, it's like, 500+ pages long. Yes, I do. I am anal that way. I always try to read the book before I see the movie. The sad thing is, I've had the book for about four years, but it's been in my TBR stack. Sigh. Guess what just got bumped up the list?
  • Last night, I tried my hand at cooking lentils. For the first time ever. Yeah. It was interesting, to say the least. I had bought some at the Dekalb Farmer's Market MONTHS ago, but have been too intimidated to try cooking them.
Then, I thought, "WTF? They were $1.78! If I mess them up, it's not a huge dealo." So, the Internets said to cook them for 20 minutes. Um. That didn't work. They were a sludgy mess. Round 1 went in the trash. Round 2 I cooked for 10 minutes. Better, but they still fell apart when I mixed things into them. Maybe they are supposed to do that??? If anyone has successful lentil cooking experience, drop me a line. Please.

Anyhoodle, I mixed in feta, fresh basil, fresh tomatoes, a little $10 salt and pepper, and they were quite tasty, if a little mushy. Sorta like mashed lentils. But the hubs really liked them, so all is well.
  • Speaking of fresh tomatoes, I FINALLY harvested some from the garden yesterday.
Woot! I mean, they're small, but I'll take 'em. Today, I went and got the spices I am gonna need to make refrigerator pickles this weekend so I can use up my continually growing pile of cukes.
  • Oh, peeps. I made the BEST chicken last night. And I am going to share my secrets with you for making it. I was a piss-poor chicken cooker (dry and overcooked yet still pink somehow) until I came to a realization: thinned chicken cooks more evenly and quickly. Brilliant, right? So, this is the way I cook all my chicken now:
First, butterfly the breasts. I do this with kitchen shears and it is tres easy. Next, take a good METAL meat mallet, and pound the hell out of the chicken until it is pretty much even thickness. As this point, you can grill it plain, marinate it, dredge it in flour for a soft coating (say, for chicken piccata), OR, hold onto your panties!, do what I did last night: dip the chicken in a little egg, then coat it with panko crumbs!

Place the panko-crusted chicken in a hot pan with a little olive oil and "fry."

Flip the chicken. Mmmm. The golden goodness. Gaze at it. At this point, I decided to get a little crazy, and sprinkled the chicken lightly with ground red pepper. Lightly, I say.

I served the chicken with the lentil salad and carrots, and it was SO good! Crunchy yet moist, and the red pepper gave it a subtle kick. LOVES!
  • Note on carrots: About a month ago, I had some carrots starting to sprout roots (seriously) so I decided to see if I could salvage them. I cut them into sticks, blanched them in boiling water, then split them among bags to freeze. Worked like a charm! I took out a bag yesterday, let them thaw, then tossed the carrots with a little butter in a skillet. Perfect! If you want the more detailed way I did this, please let me know.
  • This wine? Is Fab.u.lous. Scrumptious. Roll over your tongue tingling.
A friend suggested it, and we found it at the DFM. It's a great price point (around $12) and so, so good. Seriously. Go buy some. Now. In fact, I think I am going to have me a glass right now. So, that said, have a great night and be good! Later, B.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

A couple of things:
1. You MUST read TTW & then we have will have a movie date to go see...
2. Did I buy a bottle of Four Vines? Please tell me I did so that I can open it tonight. Yum. I can already feel the silkiness on my tongue and the elixir in my muscles...
3. I need to start following your chicken advice, b/c I've basically quit cooking it.
Love you & Happy Friday!

bunny said...

E.,
1) Okey-dokey--I am starting it this weekend.
2) I am not sure but I think yes.
3) I consider myself the chicken queen now--call me if you need more deets.