Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Reading, aka Books by the Bed

I have chosen the books I will be reading over the next few weeks of summer, and here, photographed on my bedside table, is what they are and why I am reading them, in no particular order:

1) America's Boy by Wade Rouse: My new fave author, Jen Lancaster, recommended Rouse's new book, At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream, on her blog. I decided to backtrack and read this book, his first, instead. The book chronicles his childhood in rural Missouri, where he struggles with growing up while coming to the realization that he is gay. The tale is couched around telling stories of himself, family and friends. So far, it is funny, touching and bittersweetly sad. Love it.

2) The Space Between Before and After by Jean Reynolds Page: This past week, I was grousing to a friend about how long it had been since I read a truly GREAT book. Something that just really made me go "WOW." Something that I hated had to end. Something I had to sit up to 1 a.m. to finish. She suggested this book. Let's hope it has the "WOW."

3) My Life in France by Julia Child. The movie based on Julie & Julia (the book) is coming out in August. I loved the book, and cannot wait to see the movie, but as a complement to Julie's story, I want to read this autobiography of Julia to enrich the experience.

4) The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I borrowed this book from my moms and it was buried in my never-ending stack of reads, however, it was lifted to the top because another book-loving friend has the sequel from her moms and offered it to me. So, guess I better get on reading Part 1 so I can move onto Part 2.

5) The Kite Runner by
Khaled Hosseini. I know, I know--this book has been out for a LONG time, but I never got around to reading it and I recently saw a preview for the movie on a Netflix rental, and I now have a burning desire to see it, however, I have a fairly hard-and-fast rule that I always read the book before seeing the movie. So, again, I need to get on reading it.

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Ohhh... didn't know you hadn't read The Kite Runner - It is great! (a little dark, but you probably know that). Still, an awesome read!

Elisabeth said...

No, No, No - The Space Between Us... (if you're talking about me....) Check out the review on my blog. Sorry to have lead you astray!

bunny said...

BAH! Crapola! Ok, I guess I just heard "Space" and filled in the rest in my head. Oh, well.