Monday, May 25, 2009

Horticulture, Hummus and Hops

Oh, peeps, I feel so BLAH. Yep, though it is a holiday, I am not abound with joy. I feel crappy and cranky-ish. A nap may be in order. I'm just sayin.'

Anyhoodle, when I last left you, I was heading outside to work in the garden, and work we did. Here is a shot from our bedroom window, which, btw, overlooks the veggie patch:


I spent several hours pounding bamboo support poles in the ground for my peppers and stringing netting between poles for cucumber trellises. Y'all, I am SO worried about my plants. It has been so cool and rainy that my plants have done NADA. They are sorta growing, but not blossoming. Hellz, I thought I would be getting ready to pick my first 'maters any day now. Sigh. I mean, the first year I get my plants in the ground in ample time and then it's all crapola weather for veggie growth. But let's zoom into the upper left corner:


Here is my new composter, all ready to go. Yep. Hear that crunching sound? That would be me, I think. First, Birkenstocks, then growing my own organic veggies, then recycling plastics and gathering water in a bucket, now composting. BTW, did you know you can compost dryer lint? Yep. You can.

Saturday night, we went out to eat since we were both tuckered from playing in the dirt and, as we left, KK was sitting on the stoop VERY STILL. It was so funny, I had to take a pic:


She looks like a statue. And when we gots home, we had a treat waiting for us--parts of a baby bunny. Yuck. I am not all girly about many things but animal parts would be one thing I do not "do." Yo.

So, yesterday the hubs and I pretty much laid low--housecleaning, naps (shut your piehole--we WORKED IT Saturday), errands. Oh, our exciting and glamorous lives!

What I'm Cooking:
As noted, Saturday night, we dined out, and last night, I made hamburgers and those most excellent Ore-Ida potatoes. Here is the burger:


I liberally basted it with the Cracked Pepper A1 (BOOF at the Publix this week!) then topped it with a heaping spoonful of blue cheese. Is there anything blue cheese doesn't make better? Tas-tee.

Tonight, we are having frozen pizza, but I am finally going to make that blackberry cobbler after din. I also have spent the weekend in a culinary excursion involving crafting the perfect white bean hummus. Here is try #1:


This recipe was a la Martha who recommended stewing the beans with herbs and such, then pureeing. Two problems: I did not realize you should REMOVE the herbs until too late so the end result was very rosemary-ish. And it took too long to cool enough to eat.


I obvs got a little heavy handed with the olive oil topping but it was aw'ight. I give it a 6 on a scale of 10. I did LOVES the bread I served with it though--I cut up some multi-grain bread going stale-ish, brushed it with olive oil and toasted it to golden brown. Yums. And here is hummus attempt #2:


This recipe came from Pioneer Woman who I have a big 'ol girl crush on. Seriously. Anyhoodle, it was much more simple: dumped some beans in my blender cup, added garlic, lemon juice and tahini (See my big 'ol jar?? That was the only size they had at the Farmer's Market, so I have plenty. Plenty.) and a little water.


I just blended it in the cup with my stick blender, adding salt and olive oil near the end. Have I told you how much I LURVES my immersion blender??


The result was much better. I give it an 8 out of 10. I was a little heavy handed with the garlic and salt, so that will need adjusting, and it was a little thinner than I like, but this version was much closer to what I was seeking, and much easier to whip up. PS, the green and red flakes? Fresh ground pepper. And one more note on some good libations:


I bought this 22 oz. beer at the Publix because the label was so cool. Let's go in for a close-up:


Just like I judge a book by its cover and you by your shoes, I judge alcohol (well, at least wine and beer) by the label. And this? Is a cool label. I want to peel it off and frame it.


And it did not disappoint. Yes, it lived up to the label. What a lovely color and nice head! Delish!

What I'm Listening To:
Ok, I admit it. Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas. I downloaded it to exercise to--it's got some mean bass!

What I'm Reading:
Finished The Law of Similars by Chris Bohjalian. Meh. It was ok. I was a little disappointed in the ending. I think I may have to turn to a light read next.

What's on My Mind:
It's going to be another busy week and I am grateful. And I need to finish revising my resume so I can start sending out some more. I have been slightly slack about that part of the equation. Better go get some kind of busy. Later taters! Bunch

3 comments:

Sonya said...

That beer company has prints of their beer labels available. A friend of mine used to have several of them hanging in her eat-in kichen area. I always thought they were a lot of fun.

bunny said...

Seriously??? That is SO cool! I am gonna check that out. Thanks for letting me know. I love the art!

Elisabeth said...

Yesterday my parents' neighbors' cat was walking around with half a squirrel in its mouth... made me think of you & KK, so ironic that you posted about her latest 'gift' yesterday as well!

Cool beer... I'll have to look for it!