Monday, April 06, 2009

Busy Yet Boring

Well, peeps, it's the Holy Week, which also means Spring Break for the vast majority of the school-going public. And vaca for lots of folks. Such as the hubs. Though we cannot afford to go anywhere, he took the week off and we have plans for some gardening and home improving and such. You know, all that fun stuff.

I hate to say it, but the weekend was pretty low-key. Saturday, the hubs worked and I caught up on many things computer including blogging, rebuilding my email contact list, looking for jobs and the like. Saturday night, we watched the HBO Empire Falls mini-series, based on Richard Russo's novel of the same name. It was ok--some stellar performances, including the late and great Paul Newman, but the ending PISSED ME OFF. I don't need everyone happy-happy, but damn, it could have like, I don't know, let us know what HAPPENS to the characters. I knew there was a reason I did not like his novels. Now I remember.

Yesterday, I went to the W-S cooking class. I had missed most of March, so I was itching to get back in the groove. It was on breakfast and featured some awesome waffles with $30 maple syrup. Yeah, I won't be buying it. $10 salt is about all the budget can handle, but that shizz WAS yummy. Did you know that maple syrup (REAL maple syrup) is on the verge of extinction? Apparently, the maple syrup coffers are drying up. Who knew there were coffers and who knew they were drying up??

Today, it was so blustery and cold, it was miserable. I did some work, looked for some work, and had a meeting regarding some volunteer work I do. I also signed up for some medical insurance since, you know, I don't have any and all.

Y'all, I cannot remember if I ever posted a pic of my new glasses, so I ran across this one and here they are:


Yeah, so not as red as my previous glasses, but hopefully more durable.

What I'm Cooking:
Well, peeps, I have been doing some good cookin'! Saturday night for dinner, I made hamburgers which I served on the multigrain buns from the Publix along with homemade French fries (Sorry I forgot pics! I am still getting back into the swing of the blogging thing!). Sunday night, I made a pork roast in the slow cooker. First, I browned it on both sides in olive oil, then I generously rubbed it with this:


Which was aw'ight--it gave it a little flavor, but not anything to write home about. Then, I put it in the slow cooker with a half cup of wine and a half cup of water. Four hours later, voila!


It was a tiny bit overcooked (read: dry) which I could have countered by dropping it to low heat the last hour. But it was quite tasty, and I served it with mashed sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli and cornbread sticks. Here it is plated:


This is a great cool weather meal which means it's the last until fall probably. I have several more pork loins, but I guess I will have to do salads or BBQ with them since the temps are getting warmer...not that you would know it from today! Tonight, I grilled up steaks in the IKEA grill pan (too cold outside!) and had red smashed potatoes (smashed with butter, blue cheese and sour cream) and a salad. Here it is plated:


Yummy. I also have managed to polish off a bag of Starburst jelly beans in the past 24 hours. I started craving them following my post Saturday. Sigh.

What I'm Listening To:
Right this minute, Mercy by Duffy. So good. I REALLY missed my music.

What I'm Reading:
I also finished a book since yesterday--The Bright Side of Disaster by Katherine Center. It was the perfect little book. Great central character, compelling, appealing and, yes, charming. I really liked it.

What's on My Mind:
Lots to do this week, peeps--the hubs and I are going to try to do something fun (and cheap) one day, gots volunteer work to do, work to do, nephew B-day, lunch with Mom and Sis, haircut, dog shots, oil change, apply for unemployment, maybe jam in giving platelets on Saturday. Who knew being unemployed could be so busy??? Loves you all totes!
Bunch

No comments: