Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bunny in 'da House! (And she needs to get out)

Ok, peeps, I now know (one of) the bad thing(s) about being financially challenged: I never go anywhere. You feel guilty spending any money, so, for the most part, I sit my fat ass at home. I suppose I could at least be going to the park or somewhere to exercise. After all, today was a gorgeous day. But I stayed inside all day and got very little accomplished. Well, I read. But more on that later.

So yesterday, I had to go take all my equipment back to my previous employer. When I got there, I got the bum's rush. It was like they were afraid I was going to go all crazy and whip out an uzi or something. Or that the pathetic stench of unemployment would somehow rub off and taint them, making them undesirable. It was quite ridiculous. Sorry m-effers. I have never met such an unfriendly and unkind group of people. Seriously. Good riddance and on to better things.

After that, I went to the labor office to apply for unemployment benefits. Let me just say this: Anyone who says there is no shame in applying for unemployment has probably never applied for unemployment. Don't get me wrong--I would not let pride get in the way of making my mortgage payment or putting food on the table, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I felt a twinge pathetic and shameful pulling into the parking lot. The process, however, was quite efficient and quick and the people were actually pleasant. I take it for what it is--at least six months of insurance we won't lose our house and a cushion while I seek employment.

So, then I went to the grocery store, and then took Savannah to get her yearly shots, and then home for chores etc. By the time the hubs arrived home, the weather was starting to turn really nasty and we endured almost two hours of tornado and severe weather warnings. After all that, I felt exhausted from worry, so I went to bed super early.

Today, I returned some shelves to the Pottery Barn outlet in Dawsonville. Can someone tell me why the sales staff in that store are such asshats?? They act like their shit don't stink. And all the customers (i.e. North Fulton soccer moms) act the same. Screw you all. It is an OUTLET. And you are working RETAIL. It is not 'effin Saks. And, oh, by the way, my hubs WORKED at Saks, and the staff there did not act half as haughty as you. Get over yourself.

Then, I spent the afternoon reading. Yes, I had a ton of shit to do around the house and it was a beautiful day, but I started this great book and could not put it down. Now, the hubs is waiting for me to finish blogging so we can watch our movies--this week, we ordered the two Lion, Witch and Wardrobe movies to watch.

BTW, what's up with Starburst?? In my second bag of jelly beans, there was another mutant one. See:


Weird. And here is a cute photo of KK from earlier today:


I have been cleaning out my closet and our guest bed is covered in clothes so she decided to climb up on the pillows and hunker down for a nap.

What I'm Cooking:
Last night, we reverted back to Pizza Friday's and had a frozen pizza with salad. Tonight, I decided to try a new recipe, so I made Chicken Stew (a W-S recipe):


First, you coat the chicken in flour and brown it on all side in olive oil. Then, you put in a slow cooker with mushrooms, red potatoes, onion, bacon, parsley, thyme, garlic, white wine and chicken broth and let it cook all afternoon.


Here it is plated. We were a little confused how to eat--fork, spoon and knife were all required (though the chicken actually fell apart with a fork). It was ok tasting but I give it low marks on appearance. Everything was sorta beige. Maybe some carrots would add some color. I thought it would be so tasty, but it needed something to make it a little more savory. Here are some other culinary notes:


This bread is SO GOOD. If you have never tried the Publix multigrain, do. I use it to make paninis. They also offer it in rolls/buns. I love texture and this is FULL of texture.


I realized today, we have an abundance of produce--bananas, apples, two kinds of oranges, lemons, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, avocados, onions, shallots....I am grateful my mother raised us to love veggies and fruit.


I am having a love affair with blue cheese right now. So I bought a five-gallon bucket of it at Sams (ok, it's 24 oz. but it's huge!). I love it on salads--my favorite right now is spring greens, strawberries, walnuts and blue cheese tossed with a vinaigrette. Yum. Oh, and I also love FAGE Greek yogurt (below blue cheese) drizzled with honey. It ain't cheap, but it is so tasty. Like dessert. Seriously. If you've never tried it, I encourage you to do so. Soon.

What I'm Listening To:
Right this minute, Housequake by Prince. Little known but awesome song. Where can you get lyrics like this:

Housequake
U gotta rock this mother down
If U can't rock steady
Shut up already, damn


What I'm Reading:
I started the best book yesterday and spent all day reading it: Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster. It is her nonfiction account of losing her job during the dot.com bust which proceeded 9-11 and the two years of unemployment that followed. Of course, it was great timing for me (though, Lord, shoot me if it takes that long for me to find a job!) and it was SO funny in places--like when she went to get the marathon packet for a friend of hers and all the skinny runners give her the evil eye (she gained 50 pounds when she lost her job). I laughed so hard, I thought I would pee my pants! She has a new book out in May and is coming to the ATL. I may have to go see her. Seriously. I want her to be my BFF.

What's on My Mind:
You all need to think about cheap/free things we/I can do so I don't sit around the house feeling sorry for myself. It's bad enough I may not go on vacation for a LONG time....I can't stay inside all the time too. I will turn into one of those crazy cat women. Without the cats. Well, one cat. But you know what I mean.

Have a great Easter, peeps! Get it??? Peeps! Love, the Bunny

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Been there on two accounts. HATED the experience of going back to SH to clean out my office, and yes, people treat you like you've got cooties they might catch.

There is no experience that will make you swallow pride like applying for unemployment - but yes, I had very nice people who made it a teensy bit better. Ok, for those who have birthed babies, they say that's a pretty low-pride stance, too, but I ain't been there yet, so all I can account for is the Dept. of Labor, not labor itself. ;)

As far as cheap / free things to do, stalking authors sounds like a plan. Let me know when & where on Jan, and I'll do what I can to make it work. I'll try to do some Googling as to who else might be stopping by the ATL.

ctflack said...

Man, that is A LOT of produce! Wow! And, you are cracking me up with your mutant starbursts. I was laughing out loud looking at those!