Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sloshy Saturday

Y'all. It has been a miserable, wet, cold, nasty two days. I know we need the rain--I know we really, really need it--but it is still nasty. This kind of weather also makes me fearful of falling trees. And, let me tell you, if a tree falls on my newly remodeled house, I may just lose my shit. Seriously. And I am terribly anxious about March storms. You know, last year about this time, was when we had those REALLY BAD tornadoes and, let me tell you again, that I have spent enough time shaking in a bathtub while praying for my life to last me for'eva and 'eva.

So, yesterday, I did the Mom Triathlon--Sam's, Walmart and Grocery Store. Yeah, I ain't a mom but we needed stuff so I slogged out in the downpour and now we have enough toilet paper, Soft Scrub, soap and vitamins to last for, oh I don't know, like three months. Can I tell you how much I LOVE buying bulk?? Yeah, because the older I get, the more I HATE shopping. Now, I like spending money--don't get me wrong--but going out and physically finding stuff and toting it home drives me crazy. If they had grocery delivery and I could afford it, I would SO be doing it.

Last night was low-key--household chores and such following dinner. Today, I went to see Slumdog Millionaire and Milk with a friend which was a good way to spend a rainy Saturday. However, I didn't eat much so by the time I arrived home, I had a screaming headache. Now, the hubs is waiting for me to watch another movie and I hope I can stay awake long enough to watch it.

Tomorrow, they are predicting snow. Yes, SNOW. IN MARCH. I mean, daylight savings time is NEXT WEEK. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. See, I don't like this severe weather swing. Severe weather swing = Dorothy in Oz. Get me? Anyway, I am planning on staying indoors, doing chores, and drinking hot toddies. Maybe a nap will be in order, as well.

What I'm Cooking:
Last night, I made this awesome soup, peeps. Here is the starter:


This puree is from W-S (that's Williams-Sonona for the newbies here!) and it has been languishing in our cupboard for months. I decided we probably did not have many more soup days left, and yesterday was so cold and wet, it was perfect for soup. Here it is in mid-cook:


Onion, garlic, puree and chicken stock. And, yes, yes that is my Le Creuset. Woo-hoo. This was her inaugural voyage. I know...I have just been holding onto her until something just right came along. So, after this step, I used an immersion blender to cream the soup, then added diced roasted veggies (parsnips, turnips and carrots) along with heavy cream, and voila!


MMMM! It was good. A little sweet but the root veggies were a nice balance to the sweetness. I served with a turkey and cheese sandwich with cranberry relish. Hearkened straight back to fall. Good meal.

What I'm Listening To:
Breathe by Sia. This song is so moodily lush. I first heard it as the "soundtrack" for a PostSecret video last fall. If there is one thing I do like dark--other than my coffee and my beer--it's a good, dark song. Check out these lyrics and then check out the song:

Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
Unfold me
I am small
I'm needy
Warm me up
And breathe me


And, y'all, if you have never been to PostSecret, you owe it to yourself to go there. It's a Sunday morning ritual to visit and read the new secrets. It is a wonderful exercise in empathy, compassion and hope. Go. Tomorrow. Just go. Here's the link:

http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

What I'm Reading:
Woo-hoo. I started a new book. Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen. Only through the first chapter so it's hard to tell if I'm gonna like it, but I will report back.

What's on My Mind:
I am still thinking about seeing Milk today. I don't think it is a surprise to anyone who reads my blog that the Bunny has had numerous very close friends throughout her life who also happened to be gay. Because these people have meant so much to me, and I have loved them all for the joy and happiness they brought into my life, it saddens my heart that gays continue to be treated the way they are in society. I won't go into all the reasons here why I support equal rights for gays--including marriage--but if you ever want to have the discussion with me, let me know. However, this movie made me want to go out tomorrow and be a gay rights activist. The saddest part of the movie was that Harvey Milk knew he was a target, knew he would be killed for his beliefs:

"I fully realize that a person who stands for what I stand for--an activist, a gay activist--becomes the target or the potential target for a person who is insecure, terrified, afraid, or very disturbed with themselves."

That quote is from a series of tapes he prepared about his activist life to be played in the event of his assassination. Sadly, he was assassinated shortly after. While the capacity for human love never fails to amaze me, neither does the capacity for human hate. Most of all, I loved this quote from Harvey Milk, which I think is as apropos today as it was 30 years ago when he made it:

“Hope will never be silent. I know that you cannot live on hope alone, but without it, life is not worth living."

Amen. Here's to hope. Love, B

No comments: