Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hump Day Holla

Peeps! It's been fo'eva! For someone without a full time job, you'd think I'd have more time, but between hustling for freelance work and trying to do the work I have, I have become overwhelmed. I believed this before but I know it is now true that looking for work is a full time job unto itself. Seriously.

So, golly, I have lots to catch you up on, so let's take it one day at a time. Saturday, I walked for almost 3 miles! It was the first time I have exercised in...well, in a long damn time. I was SO sore later that day too, let me tell you. Then, I had the joy of going to have my taxes done. To say I was dreading it would be the understatement of the year, but let me just say again, how much I LOVE MY ACCOUNTANT! Seriously. I drive 30 miles one way to her office. And look what she has in that office:


Yes, it's the image of fire, with crackling sound, playing on a computer monitor. To make you feel cozy and relaxed. And the chairs in front of her desk are ROCKERS. I lie you not. She's awesome. And she's truly awesome because, all told, we are going to pay less that $500 which, for us, is AMAZING. LOVES HER TOTES.

So, Sunday, guess what? I got up and walked 3 miles AGAIN! Yes, I know. I am crazy as bat shit. But look at the beautiful park I walked in:


The weather was amazing, it's on the lake, and it was so nice. Made it almost tolerable. And then I came home and helped the hubs paint our guest bedroom. BTW, I want to show you all my paint pants:


These are some granny-fied elastic waist jeans I picked up somewhere to do chores in. They now have every paint and stain color from our remodel on them. They have become a source of pride--almost like a badge of fortitude.

So later that night, between the walking and the painting, I thought I would die and took a handful of ibuprofen to numb me. Monday was another beautiful day and I gots to see my Moms, so all was good. Then, yesterday, I let Bobs talk me into getting up at the crack of dawn to walk again. But, amazingly enough, this time I was not so sore! Yeah! I swear, if I don't become fit this time, I am just giving up and being a fat ass. Seriously.

Last night, I spent the evening in the local rednecky wings and beer place watching folks sing karaoke and laughing and conversing with good friends. I SO, SO, SO wish I had my camera but, alas, I did not. However, I promise to return and chronicle the experience. It was like an anthropological study. And props to Cowboy Steve (who sang Family Tradition) and the older gentleman from Texas (who sang You Never Even Called Me By My Name)--y'all were awesome.

Today, the best thing that happened was I gots V-Day cards from my nephew and niece. Look:


Yeah, I would say they gots the Bunny artistic talent. I may frame them and call it "folk art."

Also, one more note: We gots our electric bill last week and it was $195. Now, this may sound cheap to some of you, but we live in a small house. And there is only two of us. And I have kept records of our utilities for three years and it has NEVER EVER been close to that much. So, I called the power company to complain. As I told the girl, we just added energy efficient windows (by GOD, finally!) and front door, an Energy Star rated heat pump, put CFLs in half our lights and I have been freezing to death in 66 degree "heat" every day. So I KNEW that S.O.B. was wrong! She curtly told me January was a cold month. I said "oh, really-the coldest in 3 years?" Then, she said energy improvement didn't take effect right away. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Are you stupid? Anyway, she agreed to send someone to re-read our meter, and guess the 'eff what? They called today and said we could "readjust" our bill to $153. HA. Lesson 1: They do NOT read your meter every month. Lesson 2: Don't 'eff with the Bunny. Word.

What I'm Cooking:
It has been a weak cooking week for the Buns. Saturday night, we had the fabulous yet super easy Mandarin Orange Chicken from Trader Joe's. Then, Sunday, I was making homemade pizza but I burnt the F**K out of the crust (it was a new one I had never tried to make before), but never one to let tragedy get her down, the Buns got all resourceful and made "Pizza Pasta." I quickly made some rotini then scraped the entire top of the pizza onto the pasta and stirred it up. Voila! Not the best dish I ever made but it saved perfectly good sausage from getting thrown into the trash.

Monday night, we had a simple supper of grilled turkey sandwiches and salad, and last night, I was out with my friends. Tonight, however, I made up for the week with a super tasty new dish centered on this:


This photo sucks but it is Italian Herb Chicken Slow Cooker seasoning pack from McCormick. Basically, you place 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms in the bottom of a slow cooker, then layer chicken on top (I used boneless thighs), then pour over a large can of coarsely chopped stewed tomatoes. Finally,whisk the seasoning packet with a small can of tomato sauce and pour over tomatoes. Four hours in the slow cooker and yums. Here's how I served, step by step:


I cooked angel hair and at the last minute, added fresh spinach just long enough to wilt. I put the pasta and spinach on a plate, the topped with $10 salt, fresh ground pepper and a drizzle of good olive oil.


Next, I added the chicken thigh, then topped with the mushroom and tomato sauce:


It was really quite yummy and I will defs cook again. Besides, cooking in the slow cooker is so easy-peasy.

What I'm Listening To:
Right this minute, it just happens to be Stand by Love by Simple Minds again.

What I'm Reading:
Don't ask.

What's on My Mind:
I am going to chronicle the Year of the Bunny by recapping each month, my accomplishments, life changing events or new things I tried, big and small, just so I can be accountable to me. So, better late than never, here is January:

-Continued to improve my cooking by attending W-S classes, purchasing a Le Creuset casserole and receiving a Wustof knife.
-Read 1 book and watched 5 movies.
-Went to the Mexican grocery.
-Gave blood and set myself up to give platelets next time.
-Lost 3.5 pounds.
-Lost my job.

Whee--I am on my way. February will be even more eventful. And I totally expect you, my peeps, to aid and abet in the Year of the Bunny, so get to it! Now, I am so, so tired and can barely hold up my head, so I am off to sleep.
With love, B

1 comment:

Elisabeth7291 said...

I like your "month at a glance" recap. . . maybe I should start the same. Oh, I don't have a blog. . . but in my mind I can make the list. Or, write it in my day timer. Good idea.