Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Excellent Adventure, The Extended Mix

Well, it's been a few days and...well, it's actually been pretty boring...but I have made some shit up because I have to entertain you peeps. And I deliver, peeps, I deliver.

So, Saturday night, me and the hubs watch What Happens in Vegas--it was aw'ight. The cobbler was better than the movie though (more on that later). Sunday, the hubs and I went to the W-S cooking class which was Super Bowl foods--lots of snacky, yummy, heart-burning inducing goodness. Then, it was home and cleaning, freelance work and, that evening, the SAG awards.

Yesterday, it was a typical Monday--long and tiring and dreary. But, today...yep, today, I thought, "I need something different--an adventure." So I called up Bobs and we took off to the local Hispanic grocery at lunch. Yep, you read that right. We headed off to the local mercado to view the delights. And, y'all, I took my camera. I was worried it would go south a la my Publix experience, but I was able to get all KINDS of photos! Let's take the tour, shall we:


I don't know WTF this veggie was but it was scary and intriguing looking at the same time.


BOING! fruit juice concentrate in guava and some succelently fruit/veggie flavor. I was wondering what cocktail I could concoct from these....


Chili-covered fried lima beans. I wish I had been brave enough to try these.


Again, WTF is this? Fruit? Veggie? It's cool looking though. Like a prickly pear.


Boxes of flan mix, like Jello pudding for Latinos.


Bags of corn husks--I suppose you make tamales with these. Would love to try a recipe with them some time.


Coconuts! Tons of them. And cheap.


A weird yet cool coconut drink with bits of coconut floating in it. Honestly, coconut was a recurring flavor. Who knew Hispanic cuisine was big into coconut? Not me!


There was a bakery inside the market. It all looked yummy, but these churros--MMMM! Deep fried, cinnamony goodness in a stick.


Bags and bags of all kinds of dried chilis and peppers. There were also bags and bags of all kinds of dried beans and spices.


I wanted to buy this de leche sauce and am now sad I didn't. I wonder if it is any different from plain 'ol caramel sundae sauce....


A huge endcap of Catholic candles.


Aloe vera drink. Again, WTF? Do you drink it when you are sunburned?


So here's what I bought--strawberries ($1.50!), roma tomatoes, avocados (.79 each!), a bag of onions ($1.79), black refried beans and canned chipotle peppers. So if you are looking for affordable and exotic produce, unusual and different drinks, or authenticy Hispanic cuisine items, I say give your local mercado a try!

What I'm Cooking:
Saturday night, after I posted, I made a black raspberry cobbler. I promised photos but we had devoured it before I remembered. Here's what was left:


Yums. That about sums that up. Seeds were a little distracting though. Sunday for lunch, I crafted some potato pancakes from dinner leftovers--they turned out a little better than my last batch, so I had to take a photo:


I think this is a yummy way to use up leftover mashed taters. Sunday evening, we went out for a a quick bite, and last night, I made white chicken chili. Tonight, I made burritos, but I was missing some ingrediants, so they were good, but not as good as I have made:


Served them up with yellow rice and chips. I am sure later, I will need a Zantac and a Gas-X. Seriously.

What I'm Listening To:
Right at this moment, Stand by Love by Simple Minds. I wouldn't probably easily name them as a favorite band, but their greatest hits album is greatly great.

What I'm Reading:
Sadly, I have not gotten very far but still on Big Boned by Meg Cabot.

What's On My Mind:
Not a whole lot, honestly. I've got a lot to do, but I am just trying to take it one day at a time right now.

Be back as soon as I can, peeps. Love, B

No comments: