Monday, September 01, 2008

Labored Day

Ok, peeps, this was SUPPOSED to be a holiday but somehow I wound up working my tuckus off instead. But first, a recap of the remainder of the weekend.

Saturday, hmmm, what DID we do??? Oh yeah, I went to get my hair cut, then had a binge at Trader Joe's, then came home and cleaned house. The hubs worked like a dog in the yard ALL DAY. Saturday night was dinner, movie and collapse in bed.

Yesterday, the hubs and I managed to drag our heathen selves back to church, and then we came home and napped. Afternoon was pretty quiet--we did wind up meeting up with some friends for dinner who brought along their cute little dog:


This is Annie, and she's a peek-a-poo and a cute one at that. Very well behaved as well. My dogters could take a lesson or two from her. Speaking of my dogters, by all appearances, Savannah's eye seems to be on the mend, but please keep your prayers going--I don't know if we are totally out of the woods yet!

Today, I did manage to sleep in a little, but then got up and worked in the garden. I cleaned up my tomato plants that have pooped out and planted another row of peas and my broccoli. I have some more peas but I cannot plant them until all the tomatoes are gone which I hope will be in the next week or so or I will have to make a decision of peas or the last of the tomatoes! But look at my recent plantings:


Cukes! (Dum-dum was casting a big ol' shadow though!)


Peas! These are sugar snap peas. I also have English peas to plant.

After that, I decided to work on staining our bathroom cabinets. We decided to do this to "refresh" the bath since we cannot remodel it right now. We are hoping by staining the cabinets, painting the walls and maybe throwing in some new fixtures and lighting, we can spend about $500 or so and make the bathroom look totally new--or new enough until we can get the loan paid down to have it done proper. And let me tell you, that is HARD work. I hurt everywhere right now. Plus I think we are dying from the fumes. I should have went low-VOC. Here's the B&A:


BEFORE: Light golden oak.


AFTER: Dark walnut. (Ignore my feminine hygiene product, 'kay??). We hope this will look better with light grey paint, a black shower curtain and whorehouse red rugs. I will continue to upload photos as we progress.

My sweet, sweet hubs offered to take me out to dinner, which almost made me cry for many reasons. So we went out and for ice cream. Not that we really have the money, but, oh well. I am about to head for bed with a book after I take about 10 ibuprofen.

What I'm Cooking:
Saturday night, I was going to cook pizza but forgot to get the dough out in time, so we had pasta with this:


I gots it at W-S during the last cooking class. People were snatching it up like it was gold, so I got caught up in the frenzy and bought a jar. For $15, I expected it to be AWESOME but it's just aww-ight. I served it with angel hair. It needed something--maybe a extra squeeze of fresh lemon for some zing. We also had this for appetizer:


Now THIS is FABULOUS! And less than 1/5 the price of the sauce! So yums! I LOVES Trader Joes--I wish THEY had cooking classes.

Yesterday, I broke out the Publix pizza dough (you have to use it right away!) and made a half-and-half pizza--on side was the W-S sauce with Fontina cheese, the other side TOMATOES and Italian sausage:


Little Jake told us about the side with the sauce. Again, it was okay. Maybe a splash of white wine AND lemon juice would help the sauce. As I mentioned, we were out last night and tonight, but should be back to cooking tomorrow.

What I'm Listening To:
Nothing right now.

What I'm Reading:
I finished the Laura Moriarty book which I was disappointingly underwhelmed with. I started and finished a book of humorist essays--The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club by Laurie Notaro. I have down to start One Mississippi next but I will see what I feel like when I head toward bed.

What's On My Mind
1) I am terribly apprehensive about the remodel starting this week. I really can't wait to be done.
2) I am terribly apprehensive about my doctor appointment tomorrow because I am afraid my doctor will be disappointed because I have gained back half the weight I lost.
3) I am terribly apprehensive because I think Sarah Palin is the anti-Christ and she will kill McCain and take over.

The Daily Meem:
Today's meem is all about dreaming and wileing away time.

Are you a daydreamer?
Yup. Big, elaborate, days-on-end dreams, complete with costumes and conversations.

Have you ever had an imaginary friend?
Yup. Her name was Emily.

What is your favorite time-waster?
This blog. Ha! Surfing the TV. Mindless enjoyment.

Hope you all had a great day. I'm off to bed--be good or be good at it!

No comments: