Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday Madness

Whew! I can't believe it's only Monday--am I glad this is a short week. Of course, that means that NEXT week I will be behind and having to play catch-up but I don't care! I get OFF on Friday! Yeah! Which I will probably spend doing some chores and/or remodeling projects....hey, maybe I would rather work after all....

Anyway, yesterday we went to church for the first time since Christmas. We have been bad Methodists but, I swear to the Lord, we could just not stand our minister. We had this AWESOME minister and she left two years ago, then we got, well, a dud. The polar opposite of our AWESOME minister. Well, the church hemmoraged members that had come because of our AWESOME minister and money was being lost so dud got the boot and the new guy started yesterday. First outlook is pretty good but we'll see...I am sad so many people have gone because we love our little church. It was a little awkward yesterday but most seemed glad to see us. We did not hide our reasoning but people were like "at least you came back."

After church, we went to Home Depot to pick out paint colors for our two bedrooms. They were having a good sale on Behr paint so even though it may be a few weeks before we get started, we went ahead and purchased the paint. Then, it was home for naps (dude, I needed it BAD! too much Office watching and not enough sleep!) and freelance work.

Today, the hubs was off so, bless his little heart, he ran a whole bunch of errands including going back to Home Depot for the paint, the bank, the post office, pay the car insurance, etc. etc. But I bought him sushi lunch to thank him! We also went and priced new appliances today. I would LOVE a new range and fridge. I hope it will be in our budget for the remodel...

Tonight I have more freelance work to do so I better get busy. Here's the wrap-up:

What I'm Cooking:
Y'all, I been cookin' up a storm--just call me Martha Deen! First, here is a photo of the cobbler from Saturday night which came out PERFECT!


Yeah, well, I forgot to take a photo until AFTER we had descended on it like locust and ate 1/3 of it, but you can tell it was pretty! We had some last night and still have some more to have tonight. My next attempt at a hot fruit dessert will be a peach crumble later in the week....stay tuned.

Last night, I made the Fabulous Wet Burritos again. Those things are DAYUM yummy! Seriously. I also had "freshened" black bean and corn salsa and chips on the side and served the burritos over "spiced up" white rice (added cilantro and Mrs. Dash Chipolte Seasoning).

Tonight, I grilled up some thin cut sirloin steaks. I put some EVOO in a gallon baggie, a heaping teaspoon of crushed garlic and a healthy toss of McCormick hamburger spice mix. I mooshed it all together then add the steak and smooshed it around in the mix until well covered and tossed it on the grill. It was yummy and earned the hubs seal of approval ("the steak's good, Bun"). I served it with the fabulous Ore-Ida roasted potatoes and the golden zucchini. I decided to keep it simple so here's what I did:


I coarsely diced a Vidalia onion then coarsely chopped the zucchini. I tossed them in a pan with a generous swirl of EVOO, salt, pepper and a single handful of fresh oregano and a triple handful of fresh basil. It was good!

What I'm Listening To:
Still loving Apologize by One Republic. I have also added their song Stop and Stare to the rotation. But, right this minute, I am listening to Boogie Shoes by KC and the Sunshine Band. Did you ever see that scene from Desperate Housewives? Classic! (and I don't even watch that show!)

What I'm Reading:
Ta-da! I started a new book last night--The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets. Hard to tell yet if it's going to be a winner. I will report back. PS, I counted in my book journal and I have read 19 books so far this year--that's not too shabby! I wouldn't have guessed that many.

What's On My Mind
I am terribly worried about the economy and, of course, how everything that's going on will impact me and my loved ones--and already it impacting us. You know me--if I could make a career out of WORRYING I would be a freakin' millionaire 100x over.

On a lighter note, I saw the preview for the new Bond movie today and it looks SO SO GOOD! Can't wait!

Tomorrow, I have to take Savannah back to the vet for more blood curves and I also have a dentist visit. I'll be back Wednesday for Hump Day Holla. Cobbler is calling now! Good night!

No comments: