Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm Baaaaaaack!

Did you miss me? Well, since half of the half dozen peeps who read my blog were on vaca with me, I doubt it. Anywho, I am back from vacation and have officially entered into the depression of knowing I have to go back to work tomorrow. Not that I don't like my job, but like most folks, I work to live, not live to work.

So vaca was pretty low-key--lots of doing nothing. Laying on the beach. Laying on the bed watching movies. Laying on a chaise on the porch reading. It was nice, but too short. The hubs and I went with my fams and though I love them, you know what Mark Twain says--fish and family start to stink after 3 days. Or maybe it's guests. But anyway, I think we were all about ready to get home and get away from each other, if you know what I mean (no offense fams--besides, you know it's true!).

Anywho, we wound up taking the girls with us--I will post some cute pics later in the week once I have time to download them from the camera. Other than that, here are the dramatic highlights of the week:

- Saturday, we drive down in torrential rain for most of the second half of the trip and it takes us like 10 hours to get there (which should have been 8).
- Sunday, I clumsily drop Savannah's insulin bottle on the tile floor of the kitchen, shattering it and proceed to freak out. Luckily, the closest pharmacy (which is a 20 minute drive away) has it in stock and is open for another hour. Thank you, Lord!
- Monday or Tuesday (the days start to blur together here), I clumsily dropped one of those large bottles of wine, 3/4 full, onto the tile floor of the kitchen, shattering it, and proceed to have a meltdown. We all had to wear shoes the rest of the week and I was petrified that the dogs would lick up some glass and cut up their bowels internally. The worst part was the waste of wine though. Ha.

Other than that drama, the week, the weather and the food was quite pleasant. I ate and drank way more than I should and did not exercise except to walk to the beach and throw my fat ass down like a whale. The hubs and I watched the first two disks of The Office Season 2 and I read three books. I managed not to get sunburned which is a feat unto itself considering I am pretty pale, and I actually have a nice little tan. I napped quite a bit and, overall, feel rested. Of course, I worried all week about my house burning down, the dogs getting sick and our car breaking down on the trip, but other than that, it wasn't bad.

We got back home yesterday evening and, let me tell you, it was SO NICE to walk into a clean house! I splurged and payed a cleaning service to come clean the house while I was gone so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I mean, we had to get groceries and unpack and wash clothes and pay bills, so it was nice not to have to worry about cleaning the house on top of everything else.

Tomorrow, I get to go get my truck which I had painted while I was gone. I hope it looks good because I am spending 2/3 of my "economic stimulus" check to have it done. Since I plan on driving it another 3 or 4 years, I figured it was a good investment. The rest of our check will be going to getting the girls teeth cleaned and Pepsi's shots--woo hoo! We know how to live on the edge, don't we???

Speaking of groceries, I think I am going to have to start eating soup beans and pasta all the time. Things are getting SO DAMN EXPENSIVE! And now, with the floods, they are predicting meat will go up even more. And a whole bunch of other things as well. Sigh. My mom and I are going to pair up and check out Sam's and see if we can buy some stuff and split it up and it be more affordable. Seriously, this is all getting me down.

For good news, we got back a good appraisal on our house and are proceeding with our home equity loan. Now we will have to worry about paying THAT bill and starting the construction. It all sort of scares me. A lot. But we have to do some things or our house will start to fall in. Well, not really. But we do have to do something here or move. Any we all know how the real estate market is going so we hope this is the better choice.

What I'm Cooking:
Tonight, I grilled feta burgers--here is the link to the recipe on the Knorr website: (http://us.knorr.com/kitchen_DisplayRecipeMRSLnav.asp). These are yummy--I make them all the time. I served them on whole wheat buns and the sides were the awesome Ore-Ida potatoes and a salad of tomatoes, onions and fresh basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

What I'm Listening To:
Say by John Mayer and 4 Seconds by Madonna. All the way to vaca hot spot and back, we listened to Martha Stewart Living Radio on Sirius. I learned lots of stuff including some good cooking tips.

What I'm Reading:
Hey, I read THREE books on vacation--give me a break! :) Actually, I returned to a PILE of my July magazines so I am wading through those and it may be next weekend before I crack another book.

What's On My Mind
I wish I could win the lottery and set up a foundation and then my daily work would be giving out money to deserving orgs and peeps. Also, on a totally unrelated note, my garden is starting to go gangbusters and I hope in a few weeks I will have tomatoes and cukes starting to come out of my ears. On another unrelated note, I have pledged to get my fat ass back in gear this week and start exercising again since I have gained back 10 of the 25 pounds I lost.

Good night peeps--I am sure over the week, I will think of more vaca news and I will post photos later as well. Have a good one!
The Bun

No comments: