Monday, May 26, 2008

Holiday Haze

Oy. Where did the past three days go? I'm not sure either but let's get on with it because I is tired and need to go to bed because tomorrow will still be Monday (if you know what I mean!).

So Saturday...let's see, my 48 CRS is kicking in...oh, yeah! Saturday, a friend and I went to the Decatur Arts Festival. I had never been before and I receive a postcard from an artist I purchased something from at Folk Fest and I thought "that sounds sorta cool" so I asked a buddy and away we went. It was pretty cool (well, not the damn weather--it was hotter than Hades. I mean, my underwear was soaking wet by the time we left, and, no, not because I have bladder control issues!) but most of the artists REALLY liked their stuff, so much so they wanted to keep it, if you know what I mean. But I did buy a couple of pieces from the artist who sent the card and we found a cool jewelry vendor who I would have bought a necklace from but she didn't have a longer size. It was this beautiful pearl strand with every different colored pearl you could think of--a Jacob's coat of pearl necklaces. I was sad she did not have a longer length than choker. I don't do chokers.

Anyway, like most fairs/festivals, the best part is the FOOD--we had alligator on a stick--I shit you not, it is fried alligator on a big 'ol thick kabob-like stick. Pretty good--tastes like chicken! And these HUGE onions rings that were about 8 inches wide with batter. I am just regretting getting the gelato rather than the funnel cake for sweet. Cannot tell you the last time I had a funnel cake.

So then it was home, piddle around the house, dinner, Saturday night movie. Nothing terribly exciting. Yesterday, we cleaned house, I went on a Walmart run, then we went to see the new Indiana Jones movie which was pretty good. The hubs and I agreed that it was not as good as the first three, but still a reasonable effort.

After the movie, it was home and I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening working on work. Sigh. I never escape it. Today, we decided we needed to do something productive so we cleaned out our crawl space. And found three rat nests. And killed a small snake. Seriously. The hubs pinned it with a hoe and I chopped it in half with a shovel. It was like freakin' Animal Planet under there! Animal Planet meets Home Depot.

This afternoon, we headed to a friend's house for food and socialization with other couples. It was quite a nice, relaxing time. We never do stuff like that so we really enjoyed it. Good food, good people, good times.

The next two weeks are going to be hectic--preparing for vacation, wrapping up our construction loan (hopefully! we got final plans today!), birthday and dad day celebrations. It makes me tired thinking about it, which means it's time for bed!

What I'm Cooking:
Saturday night, I got all creative and made little "slider" burgers--small hamburgers which I served on Hawaiian rolls. Like a Krystal. They were super yummy (it's the soft, sweetish roll!) and I think I am going to always serve burgers that way. I dished them up with a tomato and onion side salad and roasted potatoes (I tried a new one that was on sale this week but they were NO MATCH for the Ore-Ida ones!).

Sunday evening, I whipped out the Trader Joe's Mandarin Chicken served over rice, which is quite good. Better than any take out Chinese around and probably healthier. Definitely cheaper. Today, for lunch, we had a California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizza (the chicken and garlic) and tonight, I just made black bean and corn salsa to take to the cookout. Tune in later this week though because I think I have some new recipes on tap.

What I'm Listening To:
Nothing peeps, nothing.

What I'm Reading:
Finished my chik-lit book and started a Jodi Picoult--Perfect Match. Aren't you proud?? I will let you know how that turns out.

What's On My Mind
I must go back on my George Michael concert musings of a few posts back and now admit that I am going to the ATL concert in July! WOO-HOO! A friend had an extra ticket and the hubs said "feel free." Terribly excited. I used to have one of those big WHAM saying shirts--too bad I didn't keep it. I could break it out with some leggings and rubber bracelets. HA!

Hope you all had a safe and fun weekend! Be back soon!

No comments: