Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pulling Up Daisies

Today, the hubs and I decided to work in the yard. My hubs in a master gardener and has loved gardening all his life; me, not so much. Last summer, though, I planted my first vegetable garden and I loved the experience--tilling the soil, preparing to plant, putting my plants in the ground. I was full of excitement and expectation. Then, a freakin' groundhog ate half of my garden including all my squash and zucchini plants (another story, another day). Well, regardless, the whole veggie garden experience got me liking gardening better.

Now I enjoy the occassional day in the yard. For one thing, you can spend a couple of hours outside and see a major improvement--you can really see your work. Secondly, it is that laborous kind of work that makes you feel good (well, mentally good--my arms ache and I probably won't be able to lift them tomorrow). Lastly, for me, it is stress relieving. I LOVE yanking out weeds!

I have spent the evening looking at the Burpee site concocting an ordering well over $100 including heirloom tomatoes, cukes and strawberries. I am very excited about the strawberries--something I have not tried yet it sounds easy. Unless those damn groundhogs come back and eat them!

Yes, $100 is a lot of money, but last year I spent twice that much on the garden just buying amendments, but this year, I got a whole truck bed load of compost for FREE so I figure I can spend the money I would have spent on compost on plants!

Now, if it would just get warm enough in GA to plant. We are having freaky weather--70 one day, 40 the next. I hope the next few days will be our last close to freezing temperatures.

Instead of setting up and writing this blog, I really need to be working on some freelance work right now so I guess I better sign off. Some things I want to share regularly though before I go--my food, my music and my reads:

What I'm Cooking:
I have been all into grilling since it is getting warmer so I marinated some chicken breasts in a tomato/garlic/basil marinade and threw them on the grill with a mix of gourmet mushrooms tossed in olive oil. While that was cooking, I sliced up some zucchini lengthwise and threw it in one of those Ziploc steam bags with some lemon pepper and garlic powder and tossed some garlic basil pasta from Trader Joe's on to cook. I served the chicken sided with the zucchini and the pasta topped with the mushrooms and some parm cheese along with crusty French rolls. Yum!

What I'm Listening To:
I am in love with the new Jason Mraz song, I'm Yours, and the new Moby CD, Last Night.

What I'm Reading:
I am about to start a new book, probably tonight, so I will report back later.

Good night!

No comments: