Thursday, April 17, 2008

Power of Procrastination

Ok, here I am again. Writing on my blog rather than writing the feature article I have due on dementia. See now why I am procrastinating? Sounds like a barrel of laughs, eh?

First of all, the gentleman who I interviewed for this article was amazing. His mother in law, wife, sister in law and, sometime in the near future, daughter all have a horrible form of genetic-related dementia. He has spent 20 years caring for them and who knows how much longer. Makes my life seem like fun-time city in comparison. Life Lesson #1: No matter how crapola you think your life is, someone else's really is worse. Really. It's all relative, dude.

Secondly, I have yet to come up with my story lead. I have been thinking about it for days and it has yet to come to me. Usually, when I am drifting off to sleep or brushing my teeth or something mundane like that, my opening will just pop into my head. I actually keep a pen and notebook in my nightstand for just such occasions. But while I have a great end to the story (a heart-rending, tear-jerking quote from the aforementioned hubby), I do not have my great beginning so I guess I will just have to start writing and see what happens.

Lastly, I really hate having to write this story tonight when all I really want to do is something next to nothing. I started this craziness of freelance writing about three years ago and now I cannot give it up. I mean, we needed the money then and need it now, but after working all day, it is hard to make myself work some more after dinner time is done. I could write this weekend, but then I would be giving up a chunk of my weekend and if I can get it finished tonight, then it is off my plate. Unfortunately, procrastination is my soul mate.

That said, I guess I will get off my duff and go give this thing a start.

What I'm Cooking:
I have to admit, it was another night out. Pizza at the local college joint. I just couldn't be bothered tonight. Seriously, it's just been one of those weeks.

What I'm Listening To:
My song of the day was Leaving by the Indigo Girls. Nothing like a little melancholy to get your groove on for writing about dementia.

What I'm Reading:
Dude, I still ain't started that book! Who the hell knows when that will happen? My weekend was booked on Monday. Oh, well.

Later taters!

No comments: